Thread: The King

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The King

Attached Images Attached Images

The lions of the Kalahari semi-desert in southern Africa are particularly majestic animals - perhaps the stark surroundings adds further to their presence. This male suddenly appeared over a grassy dune and struck a regal pose. I particularly liked the way in which the wind played with his mane, adding further to his majestic presence.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
    Date/Time: 2005:03:13 15:12:31
    Shutter speed: 1/1250 sec
    Aperture: 11
    Exposure mode: Av
    Exposure compensation: -1/3
    Flash: Off
    Metering mode: Multi-segment
    ISO: 400
    Lens: 500mm
    Focal length: 1000mm

ajay

I love it. A little more of the sky would add even more to the "Lion King" persona. How did you get this low??
    Ajay

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

G'day Chris,

What an amazing image. I love the wind in the mane, and the pose and 'look' of the lion. I only have one criticism...I think there is a little too much foreground in the shot. I don't know if it's possible, but a crop with a little more sky and a little less grass would make it more pleasing to me - I think this would make his 'gaze off into the distance' a little stronger. Just my opinion though...he's certainly one serious dude not to be messed with. Great work.

Arjan van der Stelt

Great image good pose and colors, personally I should crop something from the bottom so there will be less foreground but overall great image and thanks for sharing......

Glenn Wheeler

That is one great capture. My wife was walking by as I was looking at it and her response was "Majestic".

I love the wind in the mane and the positioning of the lion. I see what others are saying about the foreground, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Overall a very powerful image - well done.

Glenn Wheeler
    http://www.glennwheeler.com
    http://www.photoroadtrips.com

Ivan Rothman

Striking image!
    My only suggestion would have been to angle the camera up to include more sky and less foreground.
    Ivan

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys, makes sense:). I will crop and repost.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Striking image for sure. I'm going to go against the grain here and complement you for this framing. I think the high in the frame placement gives the lion the deserved perception of strength. Your placement at a power point reinforces that as well. I like how the lion is looking into the frame. Well done....

DanWalters

Nice image. Like the comp and the wind blowing the mane. Maybe a little more off the bottom and more sky.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this composition a lot Chris. A very well done for me.

Jacqui Hendry

Classic......................

Composition is perfect

Dave Courtenay

Thats a cracker-the title says it all-love it as is-the wind in the mane makes it

Jasper Doest

Very well thought composition.... I really like the amount of foreground here....and you can nearly feel the wind in this photograph. It is not often that I like lion photographs (since they often lack creativity....), but this one is an exception....very well done!