Thread: How Large am I able to Print?

Joanna Trescott

Default How Large am I able to Print?

I am new to printing large photos. I want to create some landscape and flower canvas shots to hang in the home. I shoot with a 8mp camera with good lenses and use a tripod. Is there any rule of thumb on how large I can print?

Robert O'Toole

It really depends on the quality of the file and if you want to upsize the file or not.

Officially a 8mp file at 300 dpi is good for 8x12. But then again I have made great 13x19s with a 3mp camera.

If you upsample and the file is properly exposed, sharp and properly processed you can go up to 16 or even maybe 20 wide I would guess.

Robert
    Last edited by Robert O'Toole; 09-24-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you're sending your photos out for enlargements, like to El-Co Color Labs, don't upsize them
    yourself. Let the company do the interpolation. I've gone as high as 30x60 and been impressed
    with their work.

Doug

Robert Amoruso

Joanna,

I have printed 17" wide using an Epson 4400 from files created with my Canon 1D Mark IIn (8.2 mp).

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I routinely make prints 16x24-inch prints from 1D Mark II images. I do my own custom upsampling as discussed in recent sharpening threads. Although the CS3 raw converter and simple unsharp mask can do a great job too.
    Roger