Thread: "Bear Portrait"

Howard Burkert

Default "Bear Portrait"

Attached Images Attached Images

"Bear Portrait", was photographed at Katmai National Park. Late afternoon light and slighty overcast, at Brooks Falls. Nikon D2Xs with a Nikon 200-400mm VR with a 1.4 extender. 1/60 sec. @ f 6.3. ISO 400 at A priority.
    I wanted a few close up images and this beauty caught my eye. I think she is one of the the most beautiful bears at Katmai.
    Last edited by Howard Burkert; 09-17-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Alfred Forns

I like the sweet look Howard She is beautiful !! Might make it tighter from the bottom? Excellent !!!

Robert Amoruso

You are right on how good looking this bear is and you captured wonderful detail and sharpeness in the fur. I would agree on a bit tighter both from the bottom and the right sides.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

She is beautiful, as is your image. Thank you for sharing it.

DanWalters

Great portrait and great detail in the bear as well.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes. She is beautiful. One vote for Miss Universe.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Those eyes, they make this image. The turned head off to the side add to it. The slight bit of sand on the lips is a real bonus to me. It adds a touch of realism to the whole wild feel of the subject. The soft looking fur to the left side of the head and upper left ear area has depth. The right eye is a bit too seen, but not seen enough. The background draws my eye just slightly. The far upper right to the middle top is distracting, to me anyway. But not enough to throw it away by any means.

But a huge however...you have a image of a brown bear up close, and it still rocks! I do not have any, that sucks! Conclusion, you beat me by a mile. Hat's off to you. Please post more if you have it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Flattering portrait Howard.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Howard,
    Very nice image. When where you at brooks? I was there Sept 10-15.

How do you know this was a female? The entire time I was there, there were no females at the falls that I'm aware of. One guy thought there was one but the rangers clarified that it was a male. Did you get the number/name of the bear?

I hope to get some of my images processed this weekend.

Roger

Howard Burkert

Roger, I was at Brooks Sept.2007, the last week it was open. As I recall Sept.21th - Sept.26th. I saw 1 female with 3 cubs at the falls and this one. I watched her for over a hour and a half. The only way I can tell is a male pee's forward and the female pee's to the back. I saw this happen.
    Best,
    Howard

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Burkert View Post
    Roger, I was at Brooks Sept.2007, the last week it was open. As I recall Sept.21th - Sept.26th. I saw 1 female with 3 cubs at the falls and this one. I watched her for over a hour and a half.
    Hi Howard,
    A bear with cubes is certainly the best way to tell it's a female. ;)

The only way I can tell is a male pee's forward and the female pee's to the back. I saw this happen.
    Best,
    Howard
    That was the confusion this year. A ranger clarified that males can also pee to the back and confirmed a bear at the falls was a male that some thought was a female.

Roger

Howard Burkert

Roger, I know the ranger spends more time with these bear than I do. So he should know. I do doubt that a male can pee a stream that jets backwards from beneath thier tail. My research concludes that males pee forward or downward from thier penile sheath from between thier legs. Maybe others know some other way to identify them.
    Best,
    Howard

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger, I was at Brooks Sept.2007, the last week it was open. As I recall Sept.21th - Sept.26th. I saw 1 female with 3 cubs at the falls and this one. I watched her for over a hour and a half. The only way I can tell is a male pee's forward and the female pee's to the back. I saw this happen.
    Best,
    Howard
    Interesting conversation. I haven't had an opportunity to see bears performing. :D

But will keep this in mind and verify at the earliest opportunity.