Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bumping the focus for BIF

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger, you have added an interesting dimension for me: use of thumb and index finger - why both? - for movement of the AF point.

Please expand what you do in this regard: which wheels/buttons, how programmed (7D) for me, and which finger/thumb for which wheel/button.

Thanks!!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Roger, you have added an interesting dimension for me: use of thumb and index finger - why both? - for movement of the AF point.

Please expand what you do in this regard: which wheels/buttons, how programmed (7D) for me, and which finger/thumb for which wheel/button.

Thanks!!
    Jay,
    on 1D cameras, one uses the big wheel on the back of the camera and the small wheel by the shutter button to move the AF points around. So one uses thumb and finger to move AF points (after hitting the button to select AF points) one wheel in the x-direction, the other in y.

On recent canon consumer cameras, there is a joystick. So one just uses a thumb to move AF point with the joystick. Or you can move the AF point around with either the large wheel on the back, or the small wheel by the shutter button, but the selection goes sequentially (no x-y movement).

I find the x-y movement on the !D series faster with two fingers, even with 45-points to choose from. I'l learned to change AF points while panning following a subject, never taking my eye off the viewfinder. If the subject turns in a different direction, I switch AF points to maintain the composition I want with the changed direction.

Now, of course, with really fast action, there is no time to change AF points. E.g. cheetah running. Gee I have a hard enough time time keeping the cheetah in the frame, let alone change AF points. I need more practice. Gotta go back....

Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have just been pointed at this thread. Thanks a lot for sharing and I will be trying this out over the weekend. Where do you slow down the tracking sensitivity of the AF? Is it possible on a D7000?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shane,

Not exactly sure for the D7000, but Nikon refers to the same function as "Tracking". The possible settings range from long to short, you want long.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect will look for it in the manual

thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12