Thread: Scanned BW Negatives

Tim Townsend

Question Scanned BW Negatives

I have about 3-4,000 4"x5" Tri-X negatives that I want to scan and enhance. Scanning is not an issue (except for time involved). On the other hand, fine selection (e.g., sky regions) behind an object of interest is a real problem when I need to drop the sky tonal value and blur the grain detail. Grain is large, and of course, there is no color differentiation I can use for the selection method. Frequently, the object is a granite mountain of approximately the same tonal value as the sky.

Robert O'Toole

In my experiences with scanning the problem was always lint, dust and detritus! Glad to hear you dont have this problem.

The grain it what makes Tri-X, tri-x you cant get rid of it!! :D

Without any major tone changes to help with an auto mask, making selections in a case like this is just a matter of using a mask and a brush tool. But this can be time consuming.

Robert

Tim Townsend

Thanks Robert. Yes a brush tool is time consuming and imperfect at best. I guess I'm still searching for magic!

Michael Pancier

Tim, if you use Photoshop or Aperture, consider Nik Viveza. It is an amazing tool for retouching esp. B&W. I use it for my infrared shots. Makes it a breeze dodging and burning; darkening skies; etc.