Thread: Pheasent (Male)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pheasent (Male)

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this image last summer on my Garden Fence.
    EOS 30D Sigma 50-500 @500 ISO200 1/400th sec f7.1 Handheld

Cropped and USM added

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Pete,

I really like the bird and bg here. I do have a few nits though. The bird is tight in the frame. I would prefer more room on the bottom to make room for the clipped tail, on the left and on the top. The light is harsh and this has resulted in a very contrasty image. Toning this down in PS would help. The brighter parts of the bird are a bit overexposed. The focus seems to be on the birds back leaving the head a bit soft, and the much of the birds head is in shadow. Combine a bird party in sunlight and part in shadow with harsh light and you've got a very difficult exposure. In that situation, you could try to even things out a bit with fill flash, or you could expose for the bright areas and try to recover detail in the shadow areas later using the PS shadow highlight tool. The best answer would be to try agin when the light is better, if you can get the bird to cooperate.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jim, very helpful advice :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pete
    Pheasants are so colorful and beautiful subjects. I do like the pose that you have captured in this image. Birds don't always have to be large in the frame. I don't know what the original looked like but you could get some of the room back since you stated it was cropped. I'm thinking that an image with a much smaller bird in the frame, more of the fence and some of the country side in the BG could be a very attractive image....especially hanging on the wall. Given the right circumstances.....less is more.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the advice/comments Lana :)

ashkan ojaghi

very nice and colorful picture ! I also agree Mr.Neiger and lana hays .. a picture with a smaller bird that opened it's wings in it's habitat i think will be more pleasing!
    thank you!