Thread: Fly Portrait

adcolon

Default Fly Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

University of Puerto Rico's Botanical Gardens. Canon 30D, Canon 180macro/ext tube/580X flash. ISO 100, f/14 @ 1/250 sec.

Robert O'Toole

AD,

Well this is one of my favorites of yours. The colors, the BG, the perch, the comp and I even like the glossy look to the wings. The only negative for me is the back focus, the image would be improved with the focus slightly forward to include the eye details.

Robert

Julie Kenward

I totally agree with Robert. I opened this up and instantly realized that the focus was on the back of the insect and not the front. You might still be able to do some selective sharpening but remember next time to aim for the eye!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Works for me - I'm trying to picture if the focus were on the eye - what would happen to the wings? I like the detail in the wings, though I know, it's preferable to focus on the eye in any case. This is really really close to me - I didn't really notice the softness at the eye until I read the other posts. I still wonder, though, if I had to make the choice to get the wings sharp...:D

I would be happy to have that decision to make in this case because it's just beautiful.

Amy D.

Fabs Forns

If the fly had been still, this would be a great subject to use multiple images with focus on different places. Great compo, exp and colors.

Ed Vatza

I understand the back focus comments but I really like the detail in the wings and the color and detail of the back of the fly. Background looks great too. Nice job.

Mike Moats

Hey adcolon, very cool comp, great color combo, and wings look awesome, as pointed out maybe a little more sharpness in the eyes would be nice. Well done.

adcolon

Thanks for the comments !!