Thread: Sushi Sharing ?

Denis Glennon

Default Sushi Sharing ?

Attached Images Attached Images

The juvenile osprey was the subject of some aggression from a number of seagulls.
    This particular seagull was the most daring and managed to steal some of the fish !
    The challenge was to capture the seagul actually snatching at the fish, but this is the closest I got.
    On reflection, I could have done with some more DoF.
    Canon 1DMkIII and Canon 400mm f/4 DO Is USM, hand-held.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely. What species of gull? A SH/H adjustment on the opsprey's black feathers and a little de-SAT of the reds would make it even lovlier. Way to go.

and later and love, artie

ps: Next time you are out there try getting right down on the ground; it woud yield a much more intimate look to the image and more importantly, it would get rid of all the chazeri (Yiddish: say "CHAH-zuh-rye).
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Great timing to capture the action you did Denis and you did well to get both birds in focus. That was one brave gull to tackle an osprey.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great interaction image, Denis. I really like the stretched foot of the gull, perfect approach for a thief. :) Maybe a little bit CW rotation?

Denis Glennon

Thank you all for the help; very much appreciated.
    Great suggestions/recommendations.
    Will try them all.
    Kind Regards,
    Denise

john crookes

I can go to the sea to see some gulls but i shall never see a Seagull by the sea

Great shot though

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent capture of interesting behaviour. That was one brave gull.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Denis, What species of gull?

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Denis Glennon

Default Gull Type

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Denis, What species of gull?

later and love, artie
    Arthur,
    In Oz everyone refers to them simply as "Seagulls".
    This is most common species around Australia and is the 'Silver' gull (Larus novaehollandiae) indentified by the red bill and legs. They are increasing in numbers to nuisance levels, especially around rubbish dumps, airports and tern colonies.
    Kind Regards,
    Denis Glennon AO