Thread: Purple heron

Gautam Biswas

Default Purple heron

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was made in Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary near Delhi in India. I followed a purple heron as it landed on a tree. I chose this image from among a sequence of three or four because of the position of wings, most of the bird's body being parallel to the image plane. The image was made at ISO 320 f7.1 and 1/800sec with a Canon 1D III and 500mm f5 lens and a 1.4X TC. I guess I should have chosen a faster shutter speed to get some more crispness in the image specially in the wings.

Comments suggestions welcome.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this image could do with cropping (my opinion)
    What about halving the amounts of space on the left, Right and Bottom. The actual bird image just begs to be bigger in the frame to me.

Did the bird actually settle on those branches, just does not look like it could take the weight ;)

Axel Hildebrandt

It's really hard to imagine the heron might have been able to find balance on these small branches. :) The pose is very nice but I wish for more head turn.

Mike Poe

Agree that a crop would help. Also as Axel mentioned more of a head turn. It would have been nice to have had the wings captured on a full upstroke as the left wing as viewed is lost a little. That or some fill flash to lighten the shadow created by the wing so it doesn't blend in as much with the darker wing tips.