Thread: Northern Metalmark

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Metalmark

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this image last June, here in New Jersey.
    A small butterfly, the N. Metalmark is about one and a quarter inches in size.
    It has a short flight period and is habitat specific (shale or limestone soils that include its host plant).
    I chose this image because the strong directional lighting seems to highlight the colors and metalic markings. How much does the shadow bother you?
    Canon 10D, Sigma 150mm, flash.
    Comments and suggestions are always appreciated!

Jim Caldwell

Hi Chris,
    Must have been a tough little guy to capture. The shadow doesn't bother me at all since it only effects the left front leg. How much flash did you use?

Robert O'Toole

Agree with Jim, shawdow is okay, details are good, the image doesnt look flashed at all.

Was the thing on -3 or 1/128th power?

Robert

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank You for the comments, Jim and Robert!
    The shooting data for this image is as follows
    1/160 at f20, iso 200 ext flash E-TTL
    I use a Canon 550 flash on a RRS flash bracket that attaches to the
    lens mount. Most often I will rotate the flash so it comes from the left or right side
    instead of from top.
    I will often leave the setting on the flash at -1 2/3 or -2 fill and I believe the camera/flash
    adjusts to E-TTL if the flash is not sufficient for exposure. Please correct me if this incorrect.
    Reason being that I like to shoot as close to available light setting as possible.
    This image was shot around 12pm on a bright full sun day, my limited experince shows by
    under exposing slightly and adding flash I have more control over contrasty midday light.
    Any suggestions you have regarding my technique would be appreciated!
    Chris

Mike Moats

Hey Jim, I think you did a nice job on details, colors, and the BG, For me the shadow works fine. Well done.