Thread: Black Brants in Flight

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Brants in Flight

A little bit different try at an image, I photographed these Black Brants at a nearby park in the Puget Sound area of Wa. state. Although the subjects do have enough detail to crop much tighter, I opted here to use the beatiful habitat surrounding them.
    BTW, in reading up on these geese, I find that there are only an estimated 115,000 of them in the world.
    1 D MKIII
    300/2.8 IS + 2X TC
    1/1250s f/8.0 at 600.0mm iso1250 +1/3
    Last edited by Bonnie Block; 01-12-2008 at 11:27 PM.

Fabs Forns

Hi Bonnie,

Nice idea photographing a group in habitat. The thing is they are too many mergers. You need to watch the grooup and press the shutter when they are apart fro one another. Good exposure, although you can go 1/3 under for better whites.

You need to try this again it will be very nice :) Beautiful birds they are.

Peregrine Craig Nash

As I have Brent Geese living a hundred yards from my house in the winter I like this but I do think you should crop the dark shore line out of image as it is very distracting.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like these types of shots, Bonnie. The only thing I would do different is crop out the logs on the bottom of the image as mentioned.

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Photographing flocks is very difficult as it is almost impossible to not have birds superimposed on one another. Like the sharpness on the subject, agree with the suggestion of the shoreline crop. Would prefer the birds not to "touch"