Thread: Loggerhead Shrike

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Loggerhead Shrike

Always a challenging bird to photograph. Captured this image this afternoon. I had traveled so much last week all over southern Florida, that I really didn't want to take any long trips this weekend. I decided to just walk a field near my home and see what I could find. I wound up spending over an hour creeping up on Loggerhead Shrikes and Meadowlarks. Both are fairly timid, but with the help of the 600L and 1.4x, I got close enough. The nice overcast skies allowed for easy exposure of the high-contrast birds.

Canon 1DsMII, EF 600 f/4L with 1.4x Extender, ISO 320, 1/160, f/5.6. Mid-afternoon under moderately overcast skies. This is about a 2.5mp crop.

Last edited by Bob Blanchard; 01-12-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Repaired image based on comments.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Bob, well worth the effort of sneaking up on.
    You were using alot of glass at slow speed to get a good sharp image. I really like the soft BG colors

Rick A. Brown

On my monitor, the color balance looks cold, but this isn't calibrated, so take that with a grain of salt. Otherwise nice, these are a very hard species to photograph as well as those meadwolarks you were talking about.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice portrait. I like that you can make out the eye against the black mask. Slight warming might help but looks good as is

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I warmed this a bit and re-posted the image. It definitely had a slightly cool appearance to it. Looks right to me now.

Bob

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

When I first saw this image I thought it looked a bit soft, but in this case it works well.
    Like the profile angle and BG is spot on.

Tang, Chi Kwong

very nices...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very fine image of this species. Have you considered doing a bit of noise removal on just the BG?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for all the comments. I did run NR on the BG here, but may have missed a spot or two. I actually like one of the other poses from the series a bit better, and will probably use that one instead. I'd post it here, but I think that would be against the rules. I'd love to get opinions on the two side-by-side.