Thread: Indigo Bunting

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Indigo Bunting

Rondeau Provincial Park, Ontario, Canada
    D300 / 200-400 VR
    1/180s f/5.0 at 360.0mm iso200

hand held from F150 hide, natural light, slight crop.

I wasn't really happy with this perch but I did like the light considering it was mid-day, and the look this bird gave me here was pretty cool I thought. I really like the texture of this birds feathers, and I do wish I had another chance with such a cool species this summer.

thanks for looking, hope you have a good long weekend.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great pose, details, eye contact and good-looking specimen. The clean BG looks good, too. The perch might not be ideal but it works for me.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I believe with an inverted balance of light between the subject and the background this image would look even better, what I mean is more light to the subject and less light to the background.

Linda Robbins

Wonderful pose. beautiful subject, and lovely clean bg. I think the perch is fine. Rondeau Provincial Park is a gem of a photography location. Really nice image.

Gus Cobos

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Raymond,
    I like your composition, The green pastel background compliments your bird, and makes him stand out. You have vibrant colors with sharp details in your subject. I would like to see just 1 degree of CCW rotation on the head. The perch is a bit busy at the top, breaking up the smooth flow. I cloned out the two twigs branching out and cloned out the spiral twig at the bottom touching the tail....:cool:

Maxis Gamez

Original post works for me. Excellent BG and colors.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thel light angle--from the left, is less than ideal. Thus the shadows on the perch and on the shaded breast... BGKR is lovely, EXP is good as is Sharpness.

The bird is a less than ideal individual with a rather ratty looking face, especially in the harsh sunny side light. A four way crop would tighten things up.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks everyone for the cool comments and critique

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thel light angle--from the left, is less than ideal. Thus the shadows on the perch and on the shaded breast... BGKR is lovely, EXP is good as is Sharpness.

The bird is a less than ideal individual with a rather ratty looking face, especially in the harsh sunny side light. A four way crop would tighten things up.
    Thanks so much Artie, I appreciate your opinions., I think considering the harsh light, the image looks pretty good., too bad you think this bird is "ratty" looking, as I personally think it is beautiful., I agree, as slightly tighter crop would help the image. take care.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Raymond,

re:

Thanks so much Artie, I appreciate your opinions.

YAW.

I think considering the harsh light, the image looks pretty good.,

Agree.

Too bad you think this bird is "ratty" looking.

"Too bad" is your choice. The fact is that the bird is missing many small feathers on the side of the head that we can see, thus the "ratty" description.

As I personally think it is beautiful.

That is your opinion and I respect that.

I agree, as slightly tighter crop would help the image. take care.

Good plan .and will do When I critique an image I try to be as accurate as possible and as honest as possible.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Raymond,

re:

Thanks so much Artie, I appreciate your opinions.

YAW.

I think considering the harsh light, the image looks pretty good.,

Agree.

Too bad you think this bird is "ratty" looking.

"Too bad" is your choice. The fact is that the bird is missing many small feathers on the side of the head that we can see, thus the "ratty" description.

As I personally think it is beautiful.

That is your opinion and I respect that.

I agree, as slightly tighter crop would help the image. take care.

Good plan .and will do When I critique an image I try to be as accurate as possible and as honest as possible.
    Thanks Artie, I respect your opinions very much, thank you for your follow up. I see what you mean about the bird being ratty, it does have a few feathers missing, I guess I was a bit late with this bird., and unfortunately, I missed him completely this year... too hooked on the Peregrins.

Personally, when I offer critique, I try to comment on things that the photogrpher can do something about, or things he/she has the opportunitiy to change. This is why I like this forum so much, as most people, including you, are very good at this concept.

take good care.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Barlow View Post
    Thanks Artie, Personally, when I offer critique, I try to comment on things that the photogrpher can do something about, or things he/she has the opportunitiy to change. This is why I like this forum so much, as most people, including you, are very good at this concept.take good care.
    YAW and thanks. I need to take care as I will be in the very close company of lots of coastal brown bears SEPT 4-10. Yikes.

As for commenting only on things that folks can change, there are zillions of things that folks cannot change that detract from, lessen the impact of, or downright ruin images. That gets us back to the old "I photographed what is" argument. What is is not always pretty. If I (or anyone else for that matter) fails to comment on poor choice of subject or situation or the quality of the light for example, it would be remiss. They would be passing up myriad teaching opps.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW and thanks. I need to take care as I will be in the very close company of lots of coastal brown bears SEPT 4-10. Yikes.

As for commenting only on things that folks can change, there are zillions of things that folks cannot change that detract from, lessen the impact of, or downright ruin images. That gets us back to the old "I photographed what is" argument. What is is not always pretty. If I (or anyone else for that matter) fails to comment on poor choice of subject or situation or the quality of the light for example, it would be remiss. They would be passing up myriad teaching opps.
    Excellent Artie, I wish you good luck and great shooting.

Of course, it is your choice, but one issue here is that there are hundreds of excellent photographers who do not participate here for these very reasons., again, a matter of choice. I very honestly enjoy sharing opinions, so long as the comments are in that context.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Barlow View Post
    Of course, it is your choice, but one issue here is that there are hundreds of excellent photographers who do not participate here for these very reasons., again, a matter of choice. I very honestly enjoy sharing opinions, so long as the comments are in that context.
    Hi Raymond, I am unclear here as to what you mean by "It is your choice." Do you mean that it is my choice whether or not to comment on how factors beyond the photogrpahers contorl affect an image?

Next, I am confused again. You state: ...there are hundreds of excellent photographers who do not participate here for these very reasons."

Do you know these hundreds of excellent photographers and their reasons for not participating here, or are you surmising that that is the case?

You said "for these very reasons." For what reasons? Sorry for being dense but you seem to have mentioned only one reason. I am just trying to get a better idea of what you are saying.

If folks do not wish to participate here because they do not wish to learn to make better images that is of course there choice (and their loss).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Raymond, I am unclear here as to what you mean by "It is your choice." Do you mean that it is my choice whether or not to comment on how factors beyond the photogrpahers contorl affect an image?

Next, I am confused again. You state: ...there are hundreds of excellent photographers who do not participate here for these very reasons."

Do you know these hundreds of excellent photographers and their reasons for not participating here, or are you surmising that that is the case?

You said "for these very reasons." For what reasons? Sorry for being dense but you seem to have mentioned only one reason. I am just trying to get a better idea of what you are saying.

If folks do not wish to participate here because they do not wish to learn to make better images that is of course there choice (and their loss).
    I do not mean any disrespect Artie, I personally enjoy this forum very much., the critique in here is excellent. being friends with and associated with some of the worlds top photographers is truly a valuable thing.

It is just my personal viewpoint, that many/most nature photographers do not wish to have their images subjected to serious critique, I am personal friends with many photogs in my area, and my news letter goes out to over 1000 nature enthusiasts. I do get a lot of feedback on issues such as this in the field, and via emails.

The concept here is unique, and very interesting. I think it targets the very serious advanced photographer whom is very thick skinned. I do know that my fingers need to be quiet in other forums as I wish to tell these people honest critique, but that is not what that are wanting to see., so we all make our choices.

What I mean by its your choice`` is that you and everyone in here, including me will decide on what methods we will exercise in our critique., freedom of speech is a cool thing. I accept and respect your opinions, I am just suggesting that not everyone is a good fit for this type of forum.

Interesting what kinds of conversations can develop over a few missing feathers on an Idingo Buntings face!

thanks once again for your follow up., appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Raymond, Thanks for your honest and thoughtful reply. If folks choose to stay away because they do not want honest critques done as gently as possible (that will help them grow as photographers), that is both their choice and their loss. Heck, I learn something on most every image that I post.

Feel free to quote me in your newsletter. How can I subscribe?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie., I am truly honoured by your interest in my opinions. And by this request to be involved in my business. I honestly hope that someday you and I can work together on a tour project some day., it would indeed be the highlight of my career.

If you could please send me an email, so I can pencil you into that list, I would appreciate it. My email address is

raymondjbarlow@yahoo.ca

For sure this is a matter of choice., we all find our own comfort zone with online activity. I am sure 95% of hobby photogs do not take the intimate details of bird photography as seriously as the participants in this forum., I do not consider this a issue of loss, just personal preferance.

Personally, I also consider participation in BPN a matter of gain, which is my choice and desire to improve, we like to learn from the best in the business. A challange is what rocks my world, and posting an image in BPN that produces positive critique is success., this refines my "eye" for quality, and is extremly benificial. Sure, I crash and burn with some of my images, but I am learning like you, and I really feel that the learning will never stop.

I look forward to more interesting conversations with you, when and if you have time., careful of those bears, I have seen their bite is worse then their bark.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Raymond, I e-mailed you the address; thanks.