Thread: osprey eating dinner

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default osprey eating dinner

Attached Images Attached Images

I was driving along the road in Bookelia,FL and saw this Osprey eating dinner.
    I used my Sony Alpha 100 with a focal length of 250mm at 1/320 exposure time and aperture at f/5.6 and ISO 400

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This was not a perch. It was a fence post just off the water on the bay in Bookelia.
    John

murray rothstein

Default I have been struggling with same problem.

The blank white sky poses a big problem for bird photogs because we are so often pointing upward. Fill flash or plus compensation helps sometimes but I still find it a major difficulty. I am frequently tempted to clone in a new background when the image warrants it, risking the wrath of the purists.

Murray Rothstein AKA marsupialM

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John
    The word perch is used here to refer to whatever the bird was on when the image was captured. You captured some nice action with this one.....I can almost hear the flesh tearing. A little flash would have brightened the dark areas and put a little catchlight into the eye. Also, the image appears soft....perhaps the result of a large crop?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,

I like the action you've captured with the Osprey tearing at the fish. Overall the image appears a bit soft. It would have greatly improved the image if you would have been at a higher spot so you could eliminate the white sky from the bg and made the bg all blue water. I'm not fond of the two tone bg. As Lanan mentioned, fill flash would have helped as well.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes it was cropped to take out the distracting surrounding bushes which flanked both sides. As I said I was driving by as I spotted the Osprey and I just quickly grab my camera and tripod and quickly set it up before she saw me and took off . Didn't feel I had time to go into bag and grab my flash. Thanks for the comments.
    John