Thread: Scaly-breasted Lorikeet

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Scaly-breasted Lorikeet

Attached Images Attached Images

Feeding on Coral tree flowers that are yet to open. Not sure about the composition

Olympus E500, 50-200mm, 1.4x
    Manual, 1/250 F8, ISO 100
    PS - Cloned out a part of one leaf, levels, curves, smart sharpening, crop for composition. Slight colour adj. to blacks and neutral.

Maxis Gamez

This image is very unique. The composition and colors are very nice. However, I wish for more room at the end of the branch.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really great colors! I'd like to see the bird with his head raised (hopefully with one of the buds in his beak) as opposed to bent down that way.
    I realize it may be completely unnatural (not sure if these trees would grow upwards like that) but I really like the way this looks rotated 90 degrees CCW.

Linda Robbins

I love the natural feeding pose and the angle of the branch with the buds...the whole image has a nice diagonal line. I like the composition. Well captured.

Axel Hildebrandt

This is very nice, Ian. I like the composition and pose, and would give it a bit more room if you have. S/H might give you more details in the shadows since the light appears a bit harsh. I wish the angle were a bit less steep.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great image you've captured here. I have fond memories of looking up at the rainbow lorikeets in Brisbane. I like the tight rope act you've caught here. well done!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi everyone thankyou for the comments and advise.

Maxis - I have some room to play with for the end of the branch, I will revisit my crop and/or ad some canvas if required.
    Jim - Unfortunately they don't eat these flower buds, but I see what you mean by the rotation, I think this would work either way, they actually spend most of their time doing this but with the flower pointing to the ground. Next year when the flowers bloom, I will stake out a different flower.
    Linda - Thank you
    Axel - Harsh light it was, mid morning peak summer. I will try and work on the shadows (something I need to learn). A reduction in the angle, hopefully my camera & lens upgrade will allow me to move back a bit. I must admit I have been over eager in trying to fill the lens, but after reading suggestions on the forum I have tried to focus more on composition and room to move.
    Glenn - Rainbows are aptly named, an integral part of summer in my area. I had actually titled this tightrope walker on my printed version.