Thread: Most exciting bird photography sites in Europe

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Most exciting bird photography sites in Europe

Dear EuroFellows :)

Just make our sub community stronger lets play for a while. Wouldn't it be senseless to learn what others think to be the best bird photography site in Europe. Please write the name of the site and the country and the main attractions. If you have time you can add which season you think is the best. Of course you also can share your personal feelings or experiences. There is no limit.

Have a nice listing! :D

Szimi

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I start with my 'vote'. Hortobágy National Park in the NE part of Hungary is considered the best place to find or photograph birds. The number of bird species is improbably beatable in any other part of the country.

Many attractions are the the lovely Squacco Herons in breeding plumages during spring. Also Glossy Ibises, Red-footed Falcons, European Rollers could be find within the boundary of the park. During fall large numbers of Common Cranes cumulating on the feeding areas as well as the night roosting habitats. Lesser White-fronted Geese visit the area in decreasing numbers but Greater White-fronteds are fairly common.

Entering protected areas requires permit. Aslo you need to mention you plan to photograph birds.

Nice option is to try one of the bird photography hides. I am not including details here as it would be considered as an add but upon request I can provide contacts.

Find the location on Google Maps!

Szimi

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I´ll vote for Extremadura in central Spain, especially Parque National de Monfragüe, the plains of Belen (and around the town of Trujillo) and La Serena.

// Daniel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Daniel on Monfragüe. At the castle, you can get great flight shots of Griffon and Black Vultures (and if you are lucky of eagles).
    It's also great for bird watchers as this is the best place for raptors in western Europa (3 species of vultures, 5 species of eagles including Spanish Imperial Eagle and Bonelli's Eagle) and many other birds like Black Storks or Eeagle Owls.

Another great place is the Neusiedler See National Park in Austria and Hungary (it's on both sides of the border). You will need a car there to use as a hide.
    At some places, photographing without a car works very well, too.
    Good place for shorebirds like Lapwings, Black-tailed Godwits, Redshanks, Plovers and other birds like Pheasants, Herons, Spoonbils. There are also some Great Bustards but normally to far away. Many photographers also work on Short-eared Owls in this place.
    You will need a long lens (I did everything with 4/500 + 1.4 and a 1.6 crop camera).
    Probably worth it all the year. I go there mostly in April. In autumn and winter, huge amounts of wild geese, which attract the spectacular White-tailed Eagle.

Here is a shot of a Bittern taken at Neusiedler See National Park:
    http://markusjaisphoto.com/nature-ph...ey-to-success/

and the Black-tailed Godwit in this article is also from there:
    http://markusjaisphoto.com/lenses/ch...d-photography/
    (scroll down a little. The Artic Tern is from the Kattinger Watt in northern Germany which can also be a good place. See my answer here:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=17086

Markus
    Last edited by Markus Jais; 09-02-2008 at 02:09 AM.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gyorgy Szimuly View Post
    I start with my 'vote'. Hortobágy National Park in the NE part of Hungary is considered the best place to find or photograph birds. The number of bird species is improbably beatable in any other part of the country.

Many attractions are the the lovely Squacco Herons in breeding plumages during spring. Also Glossy Ibises, Red-footed Falcons, European Rollers could be find within the boundary of the park. During fall large numbers of Common Cranes cumulating on the feeding areas as well as the night roosting habitats. Lesser White-fronted Geese visit the area in decreasing numbers but Greater White-fronteds are fairly common.

Entering protected areas requires permit. Aslo you need to mention you plan to photograph birds.

Nice option is to try one of the bird photography hides. I am not including details here as it would be considered as an add but upon request I can provide contacts.

Find the location on Google Maps!

Szimi
    Hi Szimi,
    I heard for sakertour,a tour office who organize birdtours in Hortobágy National Park in the NE part of Hungary
    Do you know anything for this?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manos Papadomanolakis View Post
    Hi Szimi,
    I heard for sakertour,a tour office who organize birdtours in Hortobágy National Park in the NE part of Hungary
    Do you know anything for this?
    Sure I know the company and the founders. All of them my friends :)
    If you need anything from them let me know.

Szimi

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Eurobuddies!
    I vote for Skomer Island, off the coast of SW Wales. It is a dream come true for puffin lovers and there are many other seabirds as well.
    You can literally walk amongst the puffins from May to July!
    Best regards,
    Nicki

Massimo Grion

Hello everybody!
    My vote goes for my home patch, Isola della Cona, a small nature reserve in NE Italy (at the northernmost part of the Adriatic Sea), not too distant from Venice: 314 species can't be too bad! ;)
    Cheers,
    Max