Thread: Ruddy turnstone

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ruddy turnstone

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created this morning at Point Lookout on Long Island. Ruddy turnstones are perhaps my favorite over-wintering shorebird on Long Island. The light angle was not optimum, I would have needed to wade into the ocean a bit, as it was, the tide caught me: next time, waders.

Thank you for looking and for your comments.

1Dm2n, 500 mm f4 + 2x
    1/800, f8, ISO 400, ETTL-2
    PS work, cleaned up the beach a bit via cloning, levels, curves, sharpening, cropped for comp.

Fabs Forns

Very nicely done, Grace.
    Nicely composed (it could lose some off the top for web display) and a good exposure. Nice catch light in the eye and sharp where it counts. Wish the shadows weren't there or at least, not cut.

That raised foot is a plus and the icing on the cake :)
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-12-2008 at 08:56 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The shell in the lower right makes a good destination for the bird. This could be enhanced by removing the shadow of the bird that keeps the shell from standing out against the sand. I'd also clone out the shadow on the left side.

The raised foot adds to the sense of mostion that makes the bird appear to be "gonig somewhere."

Maxis Gamez

The composition works well for me. The only think I would do is to remove the shadow in the back of the bird.

Len Maltese

Looks good Grace. It's well exposed, and the comp is nice. Might just take a bit off the top.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice exposure. The nits about the shadow and cropping off the top a bit have been mentioned.

Linda Robbins

I like the raised foot pose. Good exposure and the composition looks good to me. I would remove the shadow behind the bird I think. I can understand why they are one of your favorites, I enjoy watching their curiosity as they are foraging here on the West Coast of Florda too.

hugh robateau

They are one of my favs too, Grace. Stunning colors!! Nits covered.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the walking pose and angle. I agree with comments regarding shadows and would crop a bit off the top.