Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Important Sharpening Information!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Perfect Resize

Wow, I'm remiss for not checking back here in an age... I've been working on plug-in development.To answer your question, Jay, in short: No. I've described what my actions do a bit up-thread. They work in Photoshop only....I just wanted to mention that OnOne Software has released a successor to Genuine Fractals. It's called Perfect Resize 7, and it's all that Genuine Fractals was under the covers and more.I have developed actions that work with Perfect Resize. They're still pre-release, but I do supply them to people who ask, and to people who make new orders. (I guess you could say they're released, though I am still doing some testing to see if I can use some of the new settings to achieve even better results).By the way, OnOne has shown their appreciation to me by giving me a discount code I can provide to my customers... So...If you're looking to upgrade to Perfect Resize 7 and are thinking about buying my dSLR Fractal Sharpen actions, just drop me an eMail. I will be happy to send you the discount code, which will actually save you more than the entire cost of my actions on the OnOne plug-in! :)-Noel
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-31-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: no links for non-members

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Perfect Resize (retry of strangely formatted post)

Oops! I'm not sure what happened to the above post - it got all run together. As I don't see an "Edit" link, I'll try sending it again with a different browser. Moderator, please feel free to delete the one above.

Wow, I'm remiss for not checking back here in an age... I've been working on plug-in development.

To answer your question, Jay, in short: No. I've described what my actions do a bit up-thread. They work in Photoshop only.

I just wanted to mention that OnOne Software has released a successor to Genuine Fractals. It's called Perfect Resize 7, and it's all that Genuine Fractals was under the covers and more.

I have developed actions that work with Perfect Resize. They're still pre-release, but I do supply them to people who ask, and to people who make new orders. (I guess you could say they're released, though I am still doing some testing to see if I can use some of the new settings to achieve even better results).

By the way, OnOne has shown their appreciation to me by giving me a discount code I can provide to my customers... So...

If you're looking to upgrade to Perfect Resize 7 and are thinking about buying my dSLR Fractal Sharpen actions, just drop me an eMail. I will be happy to send you the discount code, which will actually save you more than the entire cost of my actions on the OnOne plug-in! :)

-Noel

P.S., if you've already bought my actions, please write to me anyway. I'll still give you the discount code and the updated actions will be yours free of charge.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-30-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: No links for non-members

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had never seen that Roger Clark pretty much told the world that I was dead wrong in Pane 14 when I wrote this in Pane 13: OK. Here we go. It is absolutley wrong to sharpen your full sized TIFF master files. No digital image should be sharpened until it is sized for final usage. I save my optimized master file. If we need to make a print, we open the master file, duplicate the image, close the master file, size the image to the print size and then sharpen the image.

Roger explained clearly and at great length using scientific terms that most real world photographers have never heard of much less understood.

Then John Chardine wrote in the thread here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ge-fine-detail

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Ludwig View Post

If you downsize an image you should do the final sharpening after you do the downsize, not before.

"
    Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    This is a common myth. See this excellent BPN thread (viewed 18,300 times to date):

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ng-Information!
    So John was clearly agreeing with Roger who had clearly indicated that I was dead wrong about my original comments. Many folks who are now and may not have been then agreed with Roger;s position. And many thanks Roger for his insightful comments.

Yesterday I wrote friend and digital photograph guru Tim Grey as follows:

Hey Tim,

Hope that all is well. All here is A-OK.

As a matter of course, do you feel that it is best to sharpen your full resolution master files and then downsize them and add additional sharpening? Or you you feel that it is best to save your master file unsharpened and then sharpen the images after sizing for a given use be it a billboard or a small JPEG?

thanks and later and love, artie

Here is his reply:

Artie,

Greetings from Austria!

My general approach is to leave the master image unsharpened, applying sharpening only to derivative images (such as an image created for printing or online sharing). This way, the sharpening is only applied to the image based on the final output size (pixel dimensions).

That said, there is a reasonable argument for applying sharpening in two stages. Very slight sharpening can be applied to the master image to compensate for the slight loss of sharpness inherent in a digital photo. Then, after resizing, output-based sharpening is applied as well. If this approach is taken, it is important that the initial sharpening be very subtle.

But regardless, sharpening should definitely be applied based on the final output size, even if a small degree of sharpening had been applied to the master image previously.

Tim

There are of course two sides to every argument. Whom do you want to believe is right here, a scientist who uses terms that you do not understand or someone on the Photoshop Beta team for more than a decade and a well respected digital photography guru?

I do not mind being told I am wrong when I am actually wrong but that was not the case here. Please do not be fooled by scientific mumbo jumbo, endless rhetoric, and dozens of folks agreeing with a scientist....

Respectfully.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I subscribe to Tim's/Artie's approach.
    1. Lightroom default sharpening of the RAW file
    2. Save an unsharpened master TIFF file
    3. Resize the TIFF to output size and then sharpen for the intended use
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12