Thread: Advice re Bird photography sites please

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Advice re Bird photography sites please

Hi all,
    I am planning a trip to SA in Sept - will have a few days in JHB/PTA then a couple of weeks in Limpopo province. Any suggestions regarding good sites would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Elmar Venter

Close to Jhb Marievale Bird Sanctuary can be quite good. In Pretoria we have a couple of good spots (at least for in a city) - Rietvlei Nature Reserve is just outside the city, Austin Roberts Bird Sanctuary is within the city and their is a dam at LC de Villiers sportsgrounds at the University of Pretoria that is good for some waterbirds. About a 130km drive from Pretoria is the Pilanesberg Game Reserve (adjacent to Sun City). It is a big 5 reserve and the Mankwe Bird hide in the middle of the reserve can be good for kingfishers.

Limpopo - well if you can get yourself to Kruger National Park that would be one of the best bets. Depending on where you will be in Limpopo enter at any of Orpen, Phalaborwa, Punda Maria or Pafuri gates.

Hope this helps - give a shout if you need more advice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks Elmar, your suggestions are great. The date of my OP my visit was last September so my trip has unfortunately come and gone :D. Had a great time and did make it to Marievale which was enough to convince me that I need to get there again. I did a course with Chric van Rooyen and Albert Froneman starting the day after I arrived which was a good cure for jetlag and then spent most of the time in the bushveldt near Alldays which gave some good opportunities on birds and game.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Elmar Venter

Aah, never checked the date of your original post :o! Glad to hear you had a good time.