Thread: Sharpness Problems When Hand-Holding? Read to the bottom.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sharpness Problems When Hand-Holding? Read to the bottom.

Attached Images Attached Images

Costa Rica, handheld natural light, 450D, 70-200 f4 IS USM, f/4, 1/30, ISO 400
    This is one of my favorite hummers, the female is easier to photograph the male moves a lot more.

Tom

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the pose and the iridescence Tom. A lower angle would be nice as would some additional sharpening. I would also remove the OOF stuff at the bottom of the frame. For better sharpness, try increasing your ISO for a faster shutter speed.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is some beautiful hummingbird! The focus seems to be at the wingtips/tail, and with the shallow DOF this has rendered the face soft (BTW those wingtips and tail look quite sharp for handheld 1/30s.) I would also eliminate the darker spots at bottom.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a stunning bird and you did a good job of capturing the gorget and esp. the crown feathers. Were you using One-Shot or AI Servo AF???
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I used One-Shot. I'm new at this and need to learn how to process the images.
    Tom

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Palmer View Post
    I used One-Shot. I'm new at this and need to learn how to process the images.
    Tom
    Thanks. There is a huge and important lesson here that most folks overlook. When you are attempting to make a sharply focused image when hand-holding it is imperative to use AI Servo AF with Canon or C with Nikon. Though you think you are standing still, your body is actually swaying all the time. So from the time that you focused (probably and correctly on the bird's eye), you moved a bit changing the distance between the imaging sensor and the subject's eye. This the tail is sharp and the eye is un-focused.

Even better would be to use a tripod especially at such a slow shutter speed. Then you can confidently use One-Shot AF (or S for Nikon), recompose, and create a sharply focused image. The problem with using AI Servo or C in situations like this is that the AF systems have a big problem focusing accurately in low-light/low contrast...

Best to use a tripod and One-Shot (or C) in low light. I will be copying this thread to the Educational Resources Forum so that all can learn from it.

I first realized the problem on my Wild Britain cruise this past June when I was handholding the 400 DO with the 40D and using One-Shot AF. I was mystified as to why I had so many poorly focused images... Another important lesson the I learned in the aftermath is that if you need to use One-Shot (or C) that it is imperative to brace your elbow on your knee or something else like a railing if possible, but even then, there is usually enough movement to throw off he focus... And the lonver the effective focal length, the greater the problem.

I will add an image or two with additional comments to the copied thread.

As for learning to optimize your images, I wrote the Digital Basics File for folks like you. You are advised to check it out on the home page.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

When working with lots of light and handholding, using AI Servo AF is fine. Here, I used 45 Point AF, acquired focus on the bird's face, and then recomposed. The resulting image, created at 1/1000 sec. at f/9, is plenty sharp.

As AI Servo AF will track any preceived movement, it does not matter if I move or if the bird moves, the images will be sharp. This is not the case if you are using One-Shot (or S with Nikon...)