Thread: Short Eared Owl, just landed

Sue Palmer

Default Short Eared Owl, just landed

Attached Images Attached Images

Fir Island, Skagit County, Washington, on a rare bright winters day. She flew in right towards me and landed on driftwood about 20' away
    Canon EOS 30D ,Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
    1/500s f/5.6 at 400.0mm iso500, EV +1/3, handheld
    Sue

Dave Courtenay

One of those soo near but yet soo far images that we all have-Just not critically sharp-A real shame as its nicely composed and nice timing

Maxis Gamez

Hi Sue,

Your subject looks out of focus in my monitor. The image looks a little overexposed but a very close call!

Dan Elster

I agree with the sooo sooo close comment -a bit sharper would have put this over the top. I have more images than I care to think about like this.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose and composition, but definitely not quite sharp enough and also over-exposed.... What was your ISO??? (Or, why such a slow shutter speed with bright conditions?) And why so much noise in the BKGR? Is this a big crop???

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

With such a beautiful pose I'd take this into the digital dark room for some creative work with filters or something. The focus makes any conventional use a little tricky, but this is defiantly worth keeping for other treatments.

Rick A. Brown

I would agree on the sharpness. Also I would darken the dark tones just a tad in curves. Everything else about this is awesome.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I was thinking that this image was not as soft as it seemed (from the over-exposure). Ten mintutes in Photoshop yielded the image below.

Whaddya think?

Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Relly nice shot i like what Artie has done to it looks great

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow! What a difference!