Thread: Yellow Crowned Night Heron

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow Crowned Night Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a shot of my first YCN encounter (this summer). The sun was low and coming in from photographer left and about 45° to the birds right (I thought of it as the main light if you are a studio person). I used a Better Beemer and a 580EX to attempt to maintain decent exposure on the bird (fill light). Unfortunately I was a tad too close and didn't leave enough room for "standard" cropping (which for me means 4). This is very slightly processed in CS3 and not cropped.

EOS1DsMKii on a tripod
    ISO 100
    1/200
    F4
    600mm
    Last edited by Michael Lloyd; 09-21-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Corrected bad upload technique

Fabs Forns

Michael, I can't get to your picture :(

There's a tutorial in Eager to Learn, on how to upload them to BPN and also one in Digital Workflow on ot to size them and save them for web.

Looking forward to seeing it :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael
    I can get the image to enlarge so I'm going to comment on it. I do hope that you'll be able to work out posting in the future.
    I like the composition of this image. It's a little dark which adds to the mood. I might be tempted to blur the plant life in the water more and add a little sharpening to the heron. I think you have the basics for a nice image.....just a little more work. Just think of your images as "works in progress".

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

:) I've been uploading images to the web for years and this is the first time that I've had an image that I uploaded show up as a clickable thumbnail. I don't know what's going on with it. If I hot linked to it from one of the 2 storage sites that I use it would show up full size.

Posting to the web is hard on an image. In the original there is a lot of feather detail. The darkness comes from the location and it reflects the mood of late evening. It also goes well with the experience I had just prior to taking the shot. I saw a mother alligator try very hard to eat a lady that had stopped and leaned down to look at the mother and her babies. I was trying to catch a shot of a baby sitting on the mother when the lady came by. I suggested that she give the mother a wide berth. She ignored my warning, stopped directly in front of "mom" and leaned forward. She didn't finish the sentence "Oh look! Babies! How Cute!" because Mom launched out of the water directly toward her. It was the most amazing thing that I've seen in recent times. She came within few feet of catching the jogger.

The image looks good in print and on my calibrated Eizo.
    Last edited by Michael Lloyd; 01-13-2008 at 01:08 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I changed the image to one that I have on one of my storage sites. It's not exactly the same image and the "conversion" that the site does hurts detail but it's better than the postage stamp that was here. :p

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Finally figured out what I was doing wrong.