Thread: Heron Reflections

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Heron Reflections

Attached Images Attached Images

Photo of a blue heron taken at Wakodahatchee - uncropped and only sharpened for web

Because i like the symmetry of the reflections, the bird is in the centre of the field.

My concern is when taking such images, is it better to compose or crop the bird off-centre? If so are there any guidelines (eg - the rule of 1/3's, leave more on the side the bird is facing, crop more on the top to "effectively" move bird forward, ...) or is it all personal taste?

Would welcome comments/suggestions and experience of others.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Peter, You wrote, "Because i like the symmetry of the reflections, the bird is in the centre of the field."

That does not make sense to me. The reflections will be there no matter where the bird is placed in the frame.

The image is sharp and the exposure is good (despite the rather harsh light). With images like this it is almost always better to have the bird out of the center of the frame. And here, there is a huge reason for pointing the camera to the left and moving the bird back in the frame: the reflection of the other bird (?) in the LRHC.

Later and love,

artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Peter,

Its always better to keep best quality image as possible. Cropping will reduce the size of image and you might face limitations while printing. Rules are applicable to everyone. So it is better to compose in camera rather than during post processing IMO.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

artie -
    you replied too quickly
    i'd forgotten the technical info : 1D3 500mm 1/320 f11 ISO 400 taken around 11AM

i see your logic in moving camera to the left, but does it generally matter whether the bird is higher or lower ( ie : more or less reflections)

thanks for the advice
    peter

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW.

In this instance I would have (also) pointed the camera down a bit as the reflections are more pleasing than the actual reeds (because of the harsh light).

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Peter,
    As mentioned the image is sharp and well exposed.
    The light looks harsh (flat, cool with high contrast). At 11am in Florida the light is shot. Easy to overcome. On cloudless days, I make my images during the first and last 2.5 hours (MOL) of that day. The light is soft and warm with lower contrast. Overall you will find your images to look and "feel" more pleasing.

As far as composition, I agree with the above.
    I prefer the bird to be more right in the frame. To the right so the subject is facing the negative space created.
    The gives the emotion response of freedom or room to move. If this subject was of center to the left, it would feel cramped.

I love Wacko, have you tried Green Cay ?

James

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another option would have been to turn your camera to take a few verticals, and again with a bit more room to the right. Still a nice image.