Thread: Purple landscape

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Spring time on the south-west slopes of New South Wales, Australia. The purple flowers makes a colourful landscape but considered a noxious weed by land owners.

Canon EOS 5D, Canon 17-40 mm lens at 24mm, Polarizer, tripod, stormy weather.
    Iso 400, shutter ? aperature F22.
    Last edited by Jason Hahn; 01-12-2008 at 06:17 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the vibrant purple flowers, dramatic sky, and your use of the dead tree as a frame. The light tone and left-pointing line of the dead trunk at the left almost points me out of the frame though. I think darkening the end of the trunk, and lightening the hillside just right of center would help pull the viewer's attention more into the image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Starbuck View Post
    I like the vibrant purple flowers, dramatic sky, and your use of the dead tree as a frame. The light tone and left-pointing line of the dead trunk at the left almost points me out of the frame though. I think darkening the end of the trunk, and lightening the hillside just right of center would help pull the viewer's attention more into the image.
    Many thanks Chris, suggestions taken on board.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Starbuck View Post
    Many thanks Chris, suggestions taken on board.:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its a very eye appealing image from my seat. It looks like the spread of the purple flower.

Geoff Shapiro

I love the purple waves of flowers across the hillsides. The framing you've got here is pretty good but the upper portion of the foreground tree trunk is distracting to me in the way that it has holes through it to the sky behind. IMO, if you were to crop down from top to where the top of the trunk at right is solid across the top the flow of the whole image improves greatly. But that's just my view of things...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,

Another really nice image, John!
    What would you or our experts say to cropping the left side of the image to close off the left pointing dead trunk - just left of the eucalyptus? In my mind, that would emphasise the oval shape created by the tree and the hill creating a pleasing shape.
    Is that better composition or is it becoming too obvious and contrived then?

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Kelberg View Post
    Hi John,

Another really nice image, John!
    What would you or our experts say to cropping the left side of the image to close off the left pointing dead trunk - just left of the eucalyptus? In my mind, that would emphasise the oval shape created by the tree and the hill creating a pleasing shape.
    Is that better composition or is it becoming too obvious and contrived then?

Gerald
    Many thanks for your commnets Gerald. yes it was something I had considered when cropping but decided I preferred the contiuous flow of purple flowers from front to back. But may now have another look at it. Thanks again!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Shapiro View Post
    I love the purple waves of flowers across the hillsides. The framing you've got here is pretty good but the upper portion of the foreground tree trunk is distracting to me in the way that it has holes through it to the sky behind. IMO, if you were to crop down from top to where the top of the trunk at right is solid across the top the flow of the whole image improves greatly. But that's just my view of things...
    Hi Geoff, thanks for your suggestions. Yes was someting a friend of mine commented when he visited me. I actually tried this cropping while he was here and we both agreed it did improve the composition. So why did i revert back to the original composition?? Probably had one of those senior moments!!! I will go back to PS3 for a re-run.
    I'll try and post the new image here - here goes.