Thread: Panellus longinquus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Panellus longinquus

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in the dim light of a rainforest in South-east Australia. Immuture form.

Canon EOS 5D Canon, 100mm macro lens, 2 canon flashes hand held off camera - one above and closser to subject and second flash held 3-4 times the distance away as fill-in.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice lighting, John! You've really brought out the translucence and pastel color. I'd suggest cropping a little from the top and left, both to minimize the black background, and to move the 'shroom just a bit off-center. Very eye-catching image!

Chris

Nicole Brooker

This image has a dreamy feel to it. I've never seen a fungus with that sort of colour. It's tough getting the right sort of lighting in the rainforest too. I like the suggestion about the cropping.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nicole, Yes one of the more attractive species - first came across this specimen at Megalong Valley in the Blue Mountains. Unfortunately I was travelling through from Sydney to my home in Cowra and didn't have any photographic gear with me (slap on the wrist)! I agonized for 2 days on how I could have captured this image to show its colour and translucency. In the end I jumped in the car and made the 3 hour trip back to the mountains hoping that some critter hadn't made a meal out of this exquisite specimen. Fortunately my subject was still intact - what a relief!!
    Took a look at your website - you have some nice images there - well done.

Alfred Forns

Morning M8t !!!!! Fully agree with suggestions I find the image fascinating Love the translucency and delicate feel Your drive back was worth the effort Big Congrats !!!!

Fabs Forns

This looks like an Art Deco lamp, really, very beautiful.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Gorgeous and the translucent look to this image is very striking and really captures ones eye. Cropping suggestions I like.

Robert O'Toole

Hows going John,

Nice fungi, I like the shapes and the muted colors, love the delicate translucency and detail.

I prefer to handhold closeups myself but this is a case the subject screams for a tripod mount and a long natural light exposure.

NSW? wow, another reason I need to go back to one of my favorite places on earth, where abouts are you? SW-NSW?

Robert

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert O'Toole View Post
    Hows going John,

Nice fungi, I like the shapes and the muted colors, love the delicate translucency and detail.

I prefer to handhold closeups myself but this is a case the subject screams for a tripod mount and a long natural light exposure.

NSW? wow, another reason I need to go back to one of my favorite places on earth, where abouts are you? SW-NSW?

Robert
    Thanks for your comments Robert. I live in the small country town of Cowra on the SW slopes of NSW - about 4 hours drive SW of Sydney.

Robert O'Toole

I am jealous! Love the place.

I have good friends in Shellharbour (5 time worldchamp )so I spent close to 30 days driving up and down the coast. 30 days felt like 5 days as there was too much to see and do. I wish I had more time to do it again. Honestly it was really my fault, I spent too much time in the water surfing with my mates there. The waves are unreal as is the beauty of the natural areas.

Robert

Mike Moats

Hey John. excellent image, great looking subject and the top lighting really makes this image pop. Well done.