Thread: Annas Hummer

Terry Olmsted

Default Annas Hummer

Attached Images Attached Images

I have never seen the hummers bill open. If you look closely her tongue is there
    too. This happened so fast, that I did not see it until I looked on the monitor.
    Captured sitting on our pole-bean frame in July.

Canon XTi, 400mm 5.6l 1/2000s f5.6 ISO 800

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terry
    It's certainly a nice up close image of the hummer.....and a bonus of the open bill. Did you try to clone something from the bottom....the repeating pattern to the right of the tail resembles cloning. Also, there is a lot of noise in this image that could be removed by several programs.

Terry Olmsted

Hi Lana
    Yes, I did clone out a string that was distracting. Any suggestions on noise reduction? I have neat image.
    Terry

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terry
    I don't have any experience with Neat Image but have used Noise Ninja in the past. Usually if I have a relatively clean BG I can just select the BG and run a little blur on it from Photoshop. I'm curious as to how large of a crop this image was and if you had to up the exposure in your processing.

Terry Olmsted

Attached Images Attached Images

Lana
    The exposure was bumped up a fair amount, but not extremely so. Here is the full frame, if that helps. I will try the blur approach on the background next time. Thanks for your help.
    Terry

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terry
    Figures....the little stinker had to sit next to the string. Put up a hummingbird feeder next summer....and then tie a very small attractive branch above it or to the top of your bean pole.
    I was hoping that it was larger in the original frame and you could make a nice portrait out of it but it may just be too big a crop for that. The more you have to bring up the exposure......the more noise you create. Give the blur a try and see what happens.

Terry Olmsted

Thanks very much, Lana, for your help and suggestions!
    Terry

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Terry,

I see that Lana has given you some great advice, so I'll just add a suggestion about getting rid of the bg noise. If you selectively sharpen just the subject and not the bg when processing the image, it should reduce the noise. When you sharpen an entire image you are also sharpening any bg grain making it much more pronounced. Then when you crop, it magnifies the noise even more. By not sharpening the bg and then blurring the bg as Lana suggested you should be able to eliminate the bg noise.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Terry Olmsted

Thanks very much, Jim. I will try that. Since we often have to use high ISO's because of limited light, noise is a problem.
    Terry