Thread: Changes at Ka'ena Point

Christopher Hill

Default Change of Seasons at Ka'ena Point

Attached Images Attached Images

It's been a while since I was last out at Ka'ena Point to photograph the breeding colony of Laysan Albatross. I thought it might be interesting to see if there were any still there, or they had all fledged and moved out to sea. When I arrived late in the morning, I was quite surprised to see perhaps a hundred Wedge-tailed Shearwaters zooming over the area. As I walked along the path I started to see dozens and dozens of burrows in the sandy soil, some of them with Shearwater tails sticking out.

I know that in the past, a few Shearwaters had nested here, but this number was far greater than I expected. It looks like the control of dogs and mongooses in the area has really paid off!

On a different note, this was the first chance I had to use the 1DsIII for BIF. When I hooked it up to the 600mm and started trying to take pictures (tons of opportunities) I found that quite a bit more often than not, the camera wouldn't focus. No matter how many times I let up and mashed back down on the focus button, it just sat there. I could pick up a shearwater off the sky, but as soon as the water or Naupaka came into the picture, it would stop focusing. I played with autofocus settings all morning and finally pulled out the 70-200 f/2.8 IS and tried with that. I had a bit better luck, but still a long way from the reliability of the 1DsII <SIGH>.
    Last edited by Christopher Hill; 08-13-2008 at 07:10 PM.