Thread: Added Touch...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Added Touch...

Attached Images Attached Images

Having been to various nests in Cape Coral with my IPT groups a zillion times, it is always a challenge to come up with something a little different. Here, the oof grasses to the left of the bird make a wonderful added touch. I actually prefer the 45 degree profile to the both eyes straight ahead view for really tight head portraits like this one.

Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens with the 2X II TC and a 12mm Extension Tube on the EOS 1D MIII. ISO 320. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/160 at f/11. At close range, I generally try to stop down a bit when I can.

All comments welcome. Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Neil Knapp

The grass does have a very interesting effect, almost like smoke. Also love the fine feather detail around the eye.

___
    Neil

Mike Poe

Nice detail and I like the mottled BG.

Fabs Forns

Very sweet, Maestro. Great background and detail.

Van Hilliard

Beautifully done. The grass not only adds a touch of interest to the background but also provides a bit of visual balance for the bird on the right. The creamy bg colors also complement the bird's plumage beautifully.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very fine portrait Arthur. Personally I would prefer the bird a bit higher in the frame.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/160 at f/11.
    Artie
    What did you meter off of to use + 1/3 ?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This close-up looks like a painting : great details, very soft BG with tone matching the colour of the plumage. However, the image looks a bit flat, the balance between natural light and strobe light is not perfect and some shadows created by the fill-flash can be seen around the beak.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

To Glenn, I much prefer it right where it is.

To Thonnaksar, Good try but the flash was off... And the image does not look at all flat to me. If it did, I would have done a Curves ADJ.

To Gary, As it said in the specs, the whole frame: Evaluative metering +1/3 stop.

Later and love to all and thanks for sharing your thoughts. artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Stunning image Artie with wonderful lighting . Love the profile and the touch of OOF grass on the left.