Thread: Who Am I?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Who Am I?

Attached Images Attached Images

Can you identify this bird as to species? Can you age it, that is, can you identify the plumage that it is in?

Car as blind with the 600 mm f/4L IS lens, the 1.4X II TC, and the EOS-40D on the BLUBB. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/250 sec. at f/6.3. Central sensor AI Servo AF on the bird's upper breast. Note that with the darker BKGR than in my previous post of the fading adult Western, this image needed much less plus compensation...

All comments welcome. Do not be shy. :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

I find it very easy to get shorebird IDs wrong. :) The yellow legs make it look like a least sandpiper. I find the plumage a bit puzzling, maybe a juvenile first year?

Blake Shadle

Hi Artie, I believe that's a Pectoral Sandpiper. I'm not sure of the age.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I vote for Least Sandpiper. Small rounded head. Feeding with yellow legs quite bent. Fine, pointed beak.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm tempted to go for a Moulting Adult Least Sandpiper but I'm not quite sure. There is a little Scalloping (reddish colouration) on the back but I can't see if the bill tip is curving down.

Glenda Simmons

I'm no whiz on shorebirds, but I would go with Least Sandpiper in Winter Plumage. Nice exposure with the whites and dark of bird. Good eye contact. Having his tail feathers and rear leg in better focus would be a bonus, but my eye is more drawn to his great coloring.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It certainly looks like a Least Sandpiper breeding to me.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,

Sorry, not familiar with birds of US. But must be some kind of a sandpiper or a stint.I believe the light was extreme low for you to use ISO 800 and yet getting shutter speed of just 1/250 @ f6.3, which has resulted in a shallow DOF. The right leg and the tail part is a bit out of focus. The timing of shutter release is nice, with some catch in its beak. As always, the exposure is on the dot.

Rgds,
    Sudhir

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, what planet did you photograph this on? The surroundings are out of this world and quite alien looking!! (I say this in a very good way...)

This has got to be a Least Sandpiper. Adult molting into its non-breeding plumage?

Judy Lynn Malloch

My vote goes to the least sandpiper and my guess and it is a guess is that it is a juvenile. Great capture with a lovely pose and detail Artie.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

How about the first documented picture of a juvenile yellow-legged western sandpiper (newly discovered species)? I like the texture and color of the dried moss/algae covering on the sand (although the one dark spot above and to the right of the head keeps drawing my eye)
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a Least Sandpiper. regards~Bill

Philip Lombard

Wow, is there a book that can help, my book it could be one of three.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Lombard View Post
    Wow, is there a book that can help, my book it could be one of three.
    Hi Phil, Which three? Answer to the book question to come later.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Canuel View Post
    I like the texture and color of the dried moss/algae covering on the sand (although the one dark spot above and to the right of the head keeps drawing my eye) Steve
    Hi Steve, That dark spot bugged me too. I tried a few ways of getting rid of it but none of them looked good so I left it...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WIlliam Maroldo View Post
    It's a Least Sandpiper. regards~Bill
    Ah, Bill, you seem so sure that it is a least... In any case, what is the plumage?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am going to say Least with worn breeding plumage. Glad you posted this, Artie, as I am trying to learn them for a trip next week.

There is a good article in the latest ABA "Birding" magazine which, is supposed to be on line as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, most folks are sure that this is a least...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

Based on the picture on page 30 of your "Beautiful Beachcombers", I would say that it is a juvenile Least Sandpiper in fall plumage..

Dave

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not a clue, but I like it! :D
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

john crookes

How about a first summer stilt sandpiper

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am moving this thread to the Avian ID, Behavior, and Nomenclature Forum so that more can join in the fun. The correct answer will be posted here tomorrow evening.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok, my guess is an extremely worn adult post breeding plumaged Least Sandpiper. The leg color narrows it down quite a bit, (assuming that the mud in the area of the bird isn't yellowish!) It could be a species of stint, but assuming that you captured this image recently from YOUR CAR WINDOW (not a rental in China or AK somewhere) and the only stint being seen on the east coast of the US recently that I know of is a Red-necked Stint (which has black legs, again no yellow mud!) at Jamaica Bay NWR in New York, I have to rule the stints out. Of course, all of the above comes from someone who didn't know the difference between an adult and juv. Long-billed Curlew recently :D

Peregrine Craig Nash

I agree with Dan Worn adult post breeding Least Sandpiper.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i'm going with a juvenile pectoral sandpiper.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Breeding long toed stint.

BigBob...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I posted this yesterday, and missed the move, so I posted here as well. Arthur: . I was actually basing my ID primarily on the color of the legs, and the bill. The bill seems a little smaller and thinner that the pectoral, that could also be a candidate. Of course if I knew the size of the bird it would be easier. Then again I've been wrong before.....
    Today: I still think it is a least sandpiper, probably a young bird. I think it is in transition from summer to winter colors.
    regards~Bill

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave S
    Artie:Based on the picture on page 30 of your "Beautiful Beachcombers", I would say that it is a juvenile Least Sandpiper in fall plumage... Dave

Dear Dave and Gang, First off thanks for mentioning "Shorebirds; Beautiful Beachcombers S:BB)." I was going to suggest it myself. You have however, oversimplified things a great deal. As with photography, folks actually need to read and study the book. Buying it an looking at the image is not enough :)

A constant theme in S:BB is that juvenile birds have warm, consistently and evenly patterned feathers and that molting adult shorebirds have blotchy splotchy looking patterns. Secondly, S:BB stresses that understanding the timing of shorebird migration can help you to age and identify the birds and the plumages. (There is no such thing as fall plumage...)

I should have mentioned that this bird was photographed on AUG 5. It would be very rare to encounter a juvenile Least Sandpiper on that date in Florida as they are just arriving in the northeast at that time. And then only a very few until AUG 10-15 when groups arrive. That said, this bird does certainly not show warm and evenly patterned upperparts feathers so it cannot be a juvenile. Any young Least Sandpiper would be in fresh or slightly worn juvenile plumage throughout AUG as they do not begint to molt unitl late SEPT at the very earliest.

OK, this bird is not a Pectoral for several reasons. The streaking on the breast would be much more sharply defined. Pectoral are heavier bodied than Leasts. We know that this bird is a molting adult because there are worn breeding feathers (the ones with some color) and plain grey feathers--the new winter feathers coming in. This the splotchy look. Adult Least Sandpipers can afford to start molting in August because they do not have far to go. Many have already reached their wintering grounds when they get to FLA. Pectoral Sandipers winter in Argentina. They have many thousands of miles to go when they pass through FLA. Adult Pectoral Sandpipers cannot--energy-wise, afford to start molting until they reach their wintering grounds on the Pampas. Nobody has ever seen a molting adult Pectoral Sandpiper in North America (nor have they seen one in winter plumage for the same reason. The bird is much too slim to be a Purple Sandpiper and much too short-legged (among other things) to be a Stilt Sandpiper.

Therefore we have a worn, faded, adult Least Sandpiper begining to molt to winter plumage. The yellowsih legs and the fine tipped bill both point to Least Sandpiper and the splotchy feathers of the upperparts indicate a worn molting adult as explaiined above.

Now here is the best part: every single thing that I have written above is clearly explained and illustrated in S:BB. I would be glad to sign a copy for you when I get back home from Quebec on the 21st.

ps: Stephen and Daniel get an A+ for correctly identifying both the bird and the plumage stage (i.e, the age).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D. Gregg View Post
    Breeding long toed stint. BigBob...
    I wish! Actually, separating least and Long-toed Stint is no easy chore. I do not believe that there is a single record of the latter species on the east coast of N.A. I did see a breeding adult Little Stiint at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in 1983 and found and identified New York State's first Red-neck (then Rufous-necked) Stint there in 1985. People came from 17 states to see that bird. I have also seen juvenile Broad-billed Sandpiper at JBWR...

Judd Patterson

Ok, I see Artie has a big post up above me, but I won't read it since I'm late to this thread. What do we have here?

Least Sandpiper, Calidris minutilla, showing transition (pre-basic molt) between its alternate (breeding) and basic (winter) plumage. It likely left breeding grounds in Alaska/northern Canada recently and will probably winter in the Gulf Coast region.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Judd is of course right on. One final note: when shorebirds have their bills open they often look less down-turned or drroped than when their bills are closed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In addition to Artie's Shorebirds: Beautiful Beachcombers I highly recommend the following shorebird guides:

The Shorebird Guide by Michael O'Brien, Richard Crossley, and Kevin Karlson

Shorebirds An Identification Guide by Peter Hayman, John Marchant and Tony Prater

Shorebirds of the Pacific Northwest by Dennis Paulson

Shorebirds of North America The Photographers Guide by Dennis Paulson

I find these references to be excellent in content and very useful on these difficult little beauties.

Jim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James Prudente View Post
    In addition to Artie's Shorebirds: Beautiful Beachcombers I highly recommend the following shorebird guides: The Shorebird Guide by Michael O'Brien, Richard Crossley, and Kevin Karlson,
    Shorebirds An Identification Guide by Peter Hayman, John Marchant and Tony Prater, Shorebirds of the Pacific Northwest by Dennis Paulson, Shorebirds of North America The Photographers Guide by Dennis Paulson. I find these references to be excellent in content and very useful on these difficult little beauties.
    Jim
    Hi James, I agree that they are all great ID books, stressing the very, very fine points of idenitification. I own all but the last one. Shorebirds; Beautiful Beachcombers is NOT an identification guide. It teaches you about the various plumages that shorebirds wear so that you can learn to identify them. As I state in S:BB, it is almost always easier to age a shorebird, that is, determine its plumage, than it is to identify it.

Plus, I am very proud of it :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have your S:BB and it is a very well written and informative. I think anyone serious about shorebirds should have it as well as the guides I noted above.

Cheers,

Jim