Thread: Brutally Confusing...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brutally Confusing...

Still attempting to work on my proposed early DEC trip itin...

Everyone seems to agree that O'Reilly's in Lamington NPk is a must visit location for bird photography.

Right now, it seems that all of our proposed sites are in the SE quadrant of the country. Major cities that will serve as gateways are as follows:

ARR: Sydney
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Adelaide, South Australia
    DEP from Brisbane after Lamington.

If you were designing a photography tour in the SE quadrant of the country for 11 bird photographers with 500mm lenses, which HOT SPOTS would you consider must-visits besides Lamington?

I am fine seeing the common birds of Australia and I love gulls, terns, shorebirds, herons, egrets, etc...

If anyone who is new to the part would like to see the original ITIN, please send me an e-mail (not a PM).

Thanks!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Lance Peters

Hi Artie - here's my two cents worth for the Adeliade section...

Point Danger - Portland - Australia's ONLY mainland Gannet Colony. It is quite a trip from Adelaide though (500KM) also not sure of the status of the colony - happy to take a trip there to find out if you think its somewhere you would like to go.

Brisbane Botanical Gardens - in the heart of the city is always worth a look, often you will find very tame Egrets, Commorants, Kookaburra's and quite afew others around the small lakes.

Cant help with any other suggestions - mostly out of my area - I am sure others will be able to help.

Don't know if this is of any help - but here's a site
    http://www.eremaea.com - sighting reports.

Look forward to seeing you in the land of OZ.

:)

Ákos Lumnitzer

The Heron rookery on the NSW central coast/ Newcastle area. I believe you can almost touch them, so your guys should be right at home there for proximity! :)

Michael Sowden

As Lance suggested the Botantic Gardens in Brisbane are worth a look for very tame waterfowl.
    Lamingtons on the list so thats the rainforest species covered.
    Oxley Common on the South side of Brisbane has an amazing amount of bird species and numbers that a fairly easy to find and approach.
    Fishermans Island within Moreton Bay has good access and has alot of migratory waders in the summer months and shorebirds.
    Brisbane forest park has a good mix of waterbirds (near the lake) and many fringe species in the Eucalypts on the edge of the rainforest....got to give my home patch a plug :-)

The list could go on endlessly, it all depends on time. I do belive that Lamingtons would keep most vistors happy.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

"I love gulls, terns, shorebirds" = Western Treatment Plant/Werribee Sewage Farm near Melbourne.

Lance Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Bennett View Post
    "I love gulls, terns, shorebirds" = Western Treatment Plant/Werribee Sewage Farm near Melbourne.
    The Western Treatment plant is great isn't it - haven't been for a while - must go again soon.

:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post

If you were designing a photography tour in the SE quadrant of the country for 11 bird photographers with 500mm lenses, which HOT SPOTS would you consider must-visits besides Lamington?
    Hi Arthur,
    If you love shore birds and rainforest birds, ILUKA (north of NSW, near Queensland border) has everything to make you happy.

I will send you a quick report after my trip to Fraser Island...in two weeks time (getting excited !).

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Artie my self and a few friends have keys to the Western Sewerage Treatment Plant in Victoria near Melbourne , which is a haven for many types of Raptors and a myriad of waders, bush birds, terns, Stilts, Pelicans, Ducks and is very suitable for longer lenses though once the Raptors spot you you will need to drop back to your 300mm's as they will fill the frame of those and on many occasions I have had to drop down to 135F2 or 700-200mm's.

We also have many wetlands

ChrisRoss

Artie,

I would suggest in Sydney dropping into the Royal NP, you've got the Hacking river with waterbirds, tame sulphur crested cockatoos, kookaburras and various ducks. You have gallery rainforest lining the river and a stones throw away drier eucalypt forest. Also some of the most accessible azure kingfishers around. You get a mix of rainforest and bush birds down there, so quite close together you may find yellow throated scrubrwen, eastern yellow robin, rufous whistler, cormorants, ducks etc.

You will want to visit on a weekday morning if you can, it can get very busy with picnicers on weekends. It's basically my backyard, so drop me an email if you want more specific information.

regards,

Chris Ross

http://www.aus-natural.com