Thread: White Tail Buck

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White Tail Buck

I took this image last November as the White Tail rut was getting under way. This big buck had his attention on a doe which was feeding between him and I. He had been folowing here then he moved to a small ridge just above where she was and I had to reposition myself to avoid all branches that were surrounding the male.

Unfortunately I didn't capture any mating action as she was not really interested in him at the time.

This shot is about 40% of full frame cropped to a portrait size from landscape format. Canon Rebelt XT and Sigma 50-500(@500) on Manfroto monopod. I've cloned out one blade of grass.

F - 6.3
    ISO 400
    1/160
    White balance - cloudy
    No flash fired.

Last edited by Stephen Stephen; 01-11-2008 at 12:59 PM.

Alfred Forns

Looks good Stephen !!!! I like the intense expression Pure determination You did position well for a nice bg I like it very much !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You found a real nice buck in the height of the rut. Look at the thickness of the neck. I really like the bucks with the thick necks.
    The tight comp works well you have a real nice BG and the FG grasses don't bother me. Overall tthe image seems a bit dull and dark a little PP work would fix that right up.. Well done.

Robert Smith

I wish for a tad more room at the bottom of the frame? I too like the expression. I bet that was a neat experience. Congratulations.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

WHat a neck! A little boost in contrast and saturation might make it pop a little more

Howard Burkert

I agree with all the comments, and I like it very much. Beautiful Buck.
    Best,
    Howard.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

May thanks to everyone for the kind words and constructive comments. Here's a re-worked version where I boosted the gamma correction and contrast. (Robert S. I had no more room left at the bottom with this crop.)

I think that the brighter image is an improvement. This was only the second buck that I had ever gotten close two so I feel quite fortunate that he was so nice.

[Oops I've just notice that the re-worked shot must have been a frame immediately before or before the first post. You'll notice that the left ear is at a slightly different angle.]

Last edited by Stephen Stephen; 01-12-2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Additional info

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the re-post is better. :)

John R Nelson

The Re-Post Is Better..
    A Tad More Sparpening Would Be Good. Your Focus Point Seems To Be On His Nose.
    Slective Sarpening Of His Rack/Head Would Help. I Say Selective, Because You Do Not Want To
    Sharpen His Coat Much More, So It Looks Too Course... The Foreground Grass Is Just Enough
    In Focus, Or Out Of Focus, So That It Leads The Eye In, But Does Not Distract .. Nice Capture.

Jesse Ivan

repost is great

Jesse Ivan

the eyes are also sharper in the repost, its a keeper