Default breakfast

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 40D
    Sigma 50 -500
    1/1250
    F6.3
    exposure +0.33
    500mm, hand held

Took this early one morning. What do you think? I think I added too much contrast. And i should have added more exposure correction at the time. What kind of bird is this? I eventually lost this crab to a gull.

Lance Peters

Hi Cheryl - love the action, nice BG also like the low angle.

Cant help with ID of the bird - sorry.

Would have liked to see the crab and the water drops a bit sharper maybe.

Well done. :)

Stephen Cunliffe

maybe a juvenile Lesser Yellowlegs, hard to tell without a size reference, and I am absolutely no expert!
    Anyway, whatever it is, I really love this shot. The blur of the crab shows the movement caused by the shorebird tossing its head.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheryl, I like the action, the crab, the catchlight, the smooth water and best of all, the water drops! I don't think you added too much contrast and the exposure looks good to me. Can't help with ID...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Cheryl,
    I love this too for all the above reasons. Can't help with the ID either - we don't have these birds over here!
    Regards,
    Nicki

Alfred Forns

Great catch Cheryl !!!

Early morning sometimes you need to back down the red channel since it over exposes. Also do all your PS changes carefully and by feel since its all appreciation. I like the soft look at this time and do go for high contrast Do have a couple of areas (white) with little detail There is a cyan cast Anyone care to suggest an alternate color balance !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Alfred, how do you back down red channel? Desaturate in PS? or is that a setting in camera?

Dave Slaughter

Nice action! Very sharp, I'm surprised it is handheld! You should try out for the Olympic rifle team.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheryl, as I understand it, to 'back down the red channel', open PS and go to 'enhance', 'adjust colour', then 'adjust hue /saturation.' Here you will find a tiny box that says 'master'. If you click on this you are given a choice of colours to work with. If you pick red you can then desaturate (or saturate) until you are happy with the result. This is in Elements 6 - I'm sure that there is something similar in other versions of PS. Hope this helps!
    Regards,
    Nicki

Oscar Zangroniz

Great composition and details on the bird Cheryl, the effects of the water and background add to the shot.
    Regards,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate you taking the time to write your comments.

Alfred Forns

Hi Cheryl Nicki got it right !!!

All digital cameras seem to oversaturate the reds You can just go to hue/saturation then select the red and lower the saturation. Just a little will make a difference/

Gail Spitler

I think this image raises an interesting question for me. I like the action, composition, the moving water, the sharpness. What bothers me is I don't know what species of shorebird we have here. I suspect the actual bird may be a lot grayer. Perhaps a bird in winter plumage? A Willet?
    Anyway, with PhotoShop et al I find it really easy for me to over-process and all of a sudden I have an image that isn't really much like the real bird. For me, heavy processing makes sense when the image isn't about the bird per se, but is more of an out of the box creation. I think this image is an image of a particular bird, and being terribly old-fashioned, I want to be able to identify it as a real species.
    Just one gal's opinion.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail, would it help if I posted a cropped version of the orig jpeg of the bird?

Gail Spitler

Cheryl
    Yes I'd love to see the orig jpeg. Also just for my sake, when and where did you did this image?
    Thanks
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this photo April 3, 2008, at 7:03 a.m., At Ft. Desoto beach.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

comparing the orig with my first submitted, I think I did a really lousy job on the adjusting! ouch.

Gail Spitler

Cheryl
    Thanks for posting the original jpeg. I hope someone who is better at shorebirds will look at this bird. It really has me puzzled...maybe a short-billed dowitcher, but I am not comfortable with that id either.
    Anyway, I am very much a novice at Photo Shop. For me, I find myself tweaking each component -like contrast, color saturation, etc, and then I look at the resulting image and find that I have lost the subtlety and gentle richness in a rush to vibrancy and high contrast... if that makes any sense. I am sure that it is a common problem. I feel like I need to learn that 'less is more".
    There is a lot to like in the image. I hope you'll keep working on it.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

totally understand what you are saying about losing the subtlety and gentle richness.
    I think I will post the orig in the bird ID forum and see what they say.
    Thanks, Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail, Lana Hays says:
    Cheryl
    It's a Willet....

Alfred Forns

Cheryl the thing that got you in trouble here was the exposure When you underexpose early morning is tough to color balance. Gave it a try and keep getting funky looking results.

Lana is correct on the ID ii its a Willet The look their best when flying since you can see the beautiful upper wing patterns !!!