Thread: Burrowing Owl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Burrowing Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

The Owl was sititng on the wall framed by the metal fence with a very strong back light, so i got out of my comfort zone ( Thank you Fabs ) dialed +2 and took the picture.Please let me know if it worked.

MKIII
    F5.6
    1/500
    Iso 400
    600mm
    Manual Exposure
    Hand Held inside a car

All Comments are appreciated

Glenda Simmons

I'm still struggeling to learn the correct exposures to use myself, so I can't offer help in that area, but I I think you got a unique capture. I love the framing of the owl with the fence.

Beth Goffe

I like this idea a lot as you rarely see these little guys away from their burrows or purchases. He's just perfectly framed by the fence. It's too bad you had a tough lighting situation. Like Glenda, I'll leave the technical comments to the experts. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one of those birds that I have not seen yet, and they are beautiful, in fact, owls are some of my favorite bird species, you did very good even with such harsh light.

Alfred Forns

Attached Images Attached Images

You can go at these backlit images in different ways For this particular one I would go -1 on the camera and used flash to illuminate the little guy !!

Out in the field for obtaining detail on back lit birds (very close by) can go minus one on the camera and plus 3 on the flash. If the bird is a distance like up in a tree dialing the plus compensation is the way to go. Not set rules just adjusting to circumstances !!!

Love the framing !!!!

I multiplied the layer, reduced the opacity to taste, created a layer mask and brushed the bird to make lighter, used selective color and added black.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Al, Thank you for the comments and the re-post above. I did not have the flash mounted on the camera that is way i dialed a +2.

Thank you again
    Adams Serra

Robert Amoruso

Adams,

With a backlite bird I will bracket a series of exposures to find the one the does not blow the rim light out. Then I set that exposure manually and turn on the flash. Depending upon the conditions, 0 to +3 on the flash may be needed. For my "extreme" high-contrast backlight images at the Alligator Farm and Gatorland I am using +3 EC on the flash and -1 on the camera just like Alfred.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Amoruso View Post
    Adams,

With a backlite bird I will bracket a series of exposures to find the one the does not blow the rim light out. Then I set that exposure manually and turn on the flash. Depending upon the conditions, 0 to +3 on the flash may be needed. For my "extreme" high-contrast backlight images at the Alligator Farm and Gatorland I am using +3 EC on the flash and -1 on the camera just like Alfred.
    Thank you Robert,
    I will be better prepared next time and have the flash mounted on the camera.

Thank you,
    Adams Serra

Maxis Gamez

I have to agree with Robert on this one. Al re-post works very well.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Adam
    The critiques and repost are great. I find the setting of the owl quite interesting.....something different and pleasing. With the repost it's really a nice image. Well done.....to all.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice repost Alfred!

Rene A

Adam thanks for posting...

I just looked threw my shots from Gatorland today...Now I know what I did wrong.....I learned something new..

Thank you!

Renate