Thread: Creative Exercise...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Creative Exercise...

Attached Images Attached Images

Sometimes, as I did on Wednesday, I get to DeSoto so early that I know that there is no way to make a sharp image. And on WED, I did not bring a tripod so I mounted the 24-105 on the 40D, put the flash on the camera, and went for a walk.

ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2 1/3 stops set manually: 1/20 at f/4. Flash at -1 stop. One shot AF. Cloudy white balance. Added canvas left. Cropped to a near-pano.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps: Can anyone ID all four species present? (Clue; there are no Greater Yellowlegs.)

pps: Forgot: handheld at 92mm.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd guess godwit, red knots, willets, dowitchers,

Comments- shutter speed too slow, odd margins? on left t side of a few birds.
    Composition" birds placed in the center vertically. The center is the least dynamic position. The photograph should probably have been taken a much lower position.
    Also, in my opinion, a group of birds is best when it can be viewed as one object, i.e. a flock of birds. In other words a certain degree of overlapping and close proximity. Large gaps between birds tend to separate into more than one group.
    Although the camera set at F4 there seems to be no DOF effect in blurring the water behind the birds.
    Flash: it seems unlikely that a flash could have illuminated the entire group from the left to the right. I could be wrong here, but I don't think it had an effect on the image one way or the other.
    Thats about it~Bill

Alfred Forns

Love this image Its all about feel and it has it !!!

For these type images with many birds (flocks) you basically don't want any overlapping birds, ideally would space out. All traveling in the same direction is a good thing. Here I also like the selected shutter speed combined with the flash. The flash helped with a bit of sharpness but it was soft enough to preserve the gorgeous soft morning light.

Also like the framing with all the birds walking toward the warmer light and careful to give enough room for all the ones at the ends. All birds were covered by the flash only the ones at a slightly different angle did not bounce the same amount of light back to the camera. The chosen angle allowed for the sun's reflection to be evident, at this time getting really low might not show it as well, and I the sand area adds to the enhancement !!!

....... that is why I love this image !!! Big Congrats Artie !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Art. I need the birds to be sharper and shot from a lower angle also. I'd guess Marbled Godwit, Willets, Dowitcher sp. and Stilt Sandpipers. Dan Brown

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I deleted this post. I have become aware that comments I've made were unhelpful and not such a good idea.regards~Bill
    Last edited by WIlliam Maroldo; 08-01-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: I deleted this post

Alfred Forns

Bill when we post images it is enough to give ones opinion and there is no reason for a debate on each?

If you need me to answer a specific question will do so any time, just let me know. Regarding this one I can not be more clear in what I like and my taste differs from yours which does not mean much. I'm sure there are lots of different opinions particularly in this gallery OOTB.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm sorry Alfred. Point well taken. I got it, post an image, give ones opinion, no debate. Check. regards~Bill

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat effect. I like the balance of the birds. I'm bad at ID'ing shorebirds but I think I can see a Marbled Godwit, dowitchers sp?., willets (I'm straining here), and maybe another dowitcher or godwit species???????

PS Did you create jpeg in camera so that "cloudy WB" has an effect?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    PS Did you create jpeg in camera so that "cloudy WB" has an effect?
    Hey John, No. I always use RAW capture 100% of the time. When I set the white balance, it stays with the RAW file and will Breezebrowser will convert using that white balance unless I change it. Glad that you liked it.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill,

re:

I'd guess godwit, red knots, willets, dowitchers.

You get a 99%. There is only one Red Knot :)

I take it from your comments that you do not like this image :) and I am absolutely fine with that. Blurs are an acquired taste.

Many of your comments, however, are incorrect, and in an effort to educate all, I shall comment on a few.

Comments- shutter speed too slow.

Actually, the shutter speed was just what I wanted, slow enough to yield ghosting, an unsharp exposure from the ambient light below the sharper flash exposure.

Composition" birds placed in the center vertically. The center is the least dynamic position.

#1: all rules are made to be broken. There are times when the center, either in HORZ or VERT, can be the most powerful.

#2: there is a bit more room above the uppermost bird than there is below the lowermost bird Furthermore, there is the matter of the dry sand at the bottom which breaks things up...

#3: when you opt to state things as absolute fact it is best to know that you are correct. Generally it is best to offer an opinion or to suggest...

The photograph should probably have been taken a much lower position.

Dan said that too and I do not understand at all how that would have helped this image... In fact, it would have made it worse as if I got lower I would have gotten the far beach and the bathhouses in the image...

Although the camera set at F4 there seems to be no DOF effect in blurring the water behind the birds.

It is pretty apparent that you do not have a good understanding of depth of field. With short lenses you will always get much more apparent d-o-f than with long lenses.

Flash: it seems unlikely that a flash could have illuminated the entire group from the left to the right. I could be wrong here, but I don't think it had an effect on the image one way or the other.

Well, you are dead wrong. The flash automatically zooms to match the chosen focal length and as I was fairly close with a short lens flash on each and every bird is evident when you see the tiff.

Again, I am fine with your not liking the image.

ps: Can anyone age all of the birds? (The image was taken July 30, 2008).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arthur: I'm sorry about the post. It was 1:14 in the morning, and I should have gone to bed! There is this incredible website that I can't tear my self away from. Hum...I wonder what it could be? Anyway, this probably sounds crazy, but I thought it was some sort of test! The first part of the test was to identify the birds, and the second was to point out problems with the photo.. Sounds out right ridiculous now, but honestly, thats how I saw it in my sleep deprived mind.
    I did pretty good on the ID, didn't I?
    I didn't say I didn't like the image. I like the image. It is a very interesting image, one of those that you can look at a long time, as opposed to images you look at and move on to the next. What I was trying to do was systematically and objectively analyze the image.
    My analysis was totally wrong, some based on incorrect assumptions, but mostly based on ignorance. I appreciate you spending the time pointing out the errors in my critique. Also I realize I must be more careful in not making any generalized statements that are groundless. Getting to sleep on time probably wouldn't hurt either.
    I think I know where my biggest mistake was:
    I did notice the lens you used and it was late at night and it didn't register in my mind (lame excuse, I know ). I do understand depth of field, and I was thinking telephoto in which case F4 should have blurred the background. I was wrong. The flash: I did say I could be wrong. I was. Still thinking telephoto, and to get all the birds in you'd be at some distance. I was wrong again.
    Position of camera: like an idiot I was still thinking telephoto. I was wrong (obviously). In any case, there are always physical factors in play that limit camera positions that are possible, and there is no way to know this from the photograph itself.
    Oh, did I mention I thought this was some sort of test?
    I appreciate you pointing out my mistakes, and your explanation was indeed very educational. regards~Bill