Canon 40D
    Sigma 50 - 500 lens
    just before 7:00a.m.

1/1250
    F8
    ISO 500
    Exposure -0.33
    500mm

I like this image, but it is not my favorite one of the white morph. But it was easier to adjust.
    Should I have used a lower ISO?
    I am still struggling with making new layers to increase details in whites. OK, I'm not struggling. I just haven't been able to figure that out yet. So that is why I started with this image which was not as bright as my favorite ones. The water wasn't nearly as blue this early in the a.m. Do I leave it this blue?

would love to hear your comments.

Alfred Forns

Cheryl the first thing that comes to mind is the exposure. At that time you will usually have to be dialing some positive compensation. Go back and look at the histogram What time was first light? Sunrise?

The bird could be brighter but the thing that bothers me the most is the bg The dark lines going across are distracting Not sure if you could have maneuver for a different angle. Love the raised wing and head position

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Al,

Thank you for your help. This was April 3, so sunrise wasn't super early. I was at the beach at sunrise, but this egret was there until a bit later.

I had lots of room to move about since at this time there was only one other photographer there. But I didn't know how skittish this bird is, and didn't want to startle it by getting too close.

Histogram shows some information in the far right box, but not to the end of the box. No information in the last box to the left. Perhaps I misunderstood what I heard at Artie's talk--that for most pictures you should try to get info in the far right box . When I open it in curves, the edge of the upper wing registers as 236. But the whole image looks "foggy", the dark part of the beak shows 25 - 67. Does any of this make sense?

Gail Spitler

Cheryl
    I agree with Al about the bg distraction. Let me come at the image in a different way, especially as all the pp discussion is too much for this novice. When I look at the image, the farthest wing and the head are sharp and the closest wing is a bit soft. Is it possible that the dof wasn't enough? Just an idea.

Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail, what do you mean by "pp discussion"?
    You're probably right about the dof not being enough. Thanks.

Gail Spitler

Shoot,...now I can't find the exact term, try pp is post-processing of the image. I'm still way down on the learning curve when it comes to learning how to do the many sophisticated processes that PShop etc offer. I am not anywhere near being able to make suggestions about what to do after the image is shot except for the level 1 stuff. But I do want to read others comments about processing the image so your discussion with Al was heplful.
    Gail