Thread: Need Suggestions for Bag for 10 Mile Hike at the Wave

Michael Pancier

Question Need Suggestions for Bag for 10 Mile Hike at the Wave

Ok Folks. Spoke to my guide in Page and a full day to shoot the wave requires about a 10 mile hike.

Besides the cold weather gear I will be wearing, My photo trekker which I use to take my stuff on the plane is way too heavy to hike with, albeit for 10 miles.

I'm planning on taking my 5d with 17-40L attached. I have a 24-105 4.0L as well. (I'm debating whether to take a second digital body 40D with me).

I'm taking my Mamiya 7ii Medium Format rangefinder. About the size of a 1d mark II but lighter with lens attached. Other than that, it's batteries, filters, and cf cards and roll film.

now my tripod is the Gitzo 1227 with acratech head and balancing head.

In my previous hikes, I used a regular backpack with supplies, food, water bladder, and my mamiya inside and I had around shoulder my camera bag and I usually carry the tripod with camera attached or rigged it to my backpack. Now for 2 mile hike, that's fine. BUt I'm thinking 10 miles in 30 degree weather.

I can't wear a photobackpack and a normal backpack at the same time.

Also, what I hate about some photobackpacks is that it's a major pain to take off the backpack and get the camera and gear set up if a photo op arises.

So there is my dilemna. Fortunately I'm not taking my 500mm or my 3530LSV :eek:
    landscape shooting only.:D

Thoughts? help? I guess something that serves as a regular backpack and photo backpack at the same time would be ideal.

Steve Foss

Well, I can't help you with ideal, perhaps, but I've got a photo backpack that includes room for two bodies, three lenses, and a flash in the main compartment with lots of smaller zipper compartments for cards, batteries, etc, and room to lash on spare clothing, not to mention a tripod sleeve on each side.

I'm out in the boundary waters wilderness in all weathers and all seasons, and I habitually carry pretty much my full photography kit in this pack, often hiking all day with 40 total pounds of gear/food/clothing. It's got an adjustable chest strap and hip cradle, too, which makes long hikes especially comfortable.

It's the Tamrac cyberpack 8, and also has a zipper container in the back for a laptop for when that might be needed. The less gear you bring, the more other stuff you have room for. I generally have two DSLR bodies, a 100-400, 17-40, 100 macro, flash, filters, remote shutter release, off camera flash cord and various filters/manuals in the main zipper compartment, with batteries and cards and other smaller stuff in the transparent zipper compartments inside the "lid" of the pack when it's opened up. On the outside of the pack is a large zipper compartment with other subcompartments inside. In there typically is stuff I carry for survival and to make things easier to shoot, like food, pepper spray, rope, multi-tool, etc. There's room to lash a water bottle on the outside of the pack, as well as a bunch of other stuff.

Recently when on a four-day, 35-mile wilderness backpacking trip, I had to abandon this pack and use a standard packers internal frame backpack, but I've never yet met a day trip, even one with a round trip as long as yours, that this pack wasn't up to.

Anyway, lots of options out there and this is the one I'm most familiar with.

Good luck, and have a blast!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael, I just did "The Wave" a few months ago and let me tell you it was really a difficult trek with a large bag on my back as well as a few liters of water (very neccessary). You will travel up and down over elevations changes of over 2,100 feet in that hike in over ankle deep sand going uphill in some areas and that it tough heavy breathing stuff. I left that place saying IF I ever went back, I'd travel as light as possible which meant... my camera, batteries, widest lens, a mid range lens like the 70-200mm, the tripod, water and snack bars for fuel. There are landmarks of stacked rocks (once you get into the Wave) that will help guide you to your destination. I will say that it was the toughest thing I've done since Boot Camp twenty years ago... but worth it.

Here is what you'll see.

HAVE FUN!!! :D

Michael Pancier

beautiful shots Mike. Since we're doing full day, we intend on staying though sunset to shoot the 2nd wave and prior the teepees and whatever else our guide takes us too. Last April in Zion I took my 70-200 2.8, and it was a pain along with all my equipment but not too bad for 2-3 mile hikes. But 10 miles, 17-40 and 24-135 is about it for me. Everything else can go in a vest. I need something light.

I hope it's not too cold at the end of feb.

Howard Burkert

Michael,Your selection of equipment sounds ideal. I would take the extra body. I have been there twice and found my LowePro AW trekker held my equipment nicely. Total weight 38#. I was there both times in January and it was nice both trips. As for supplies Cliff Bars,water, and matches, was all I took. That time of the year the first leg of the hike is a dry river bed and can be made before daybreak. When you start your accent, you will want daylight.Time your hike in and allow at least that much or more for getting out. Make it out before nightfall. For your information when your up in the wave and near the edge a Verizon cell phone will get out.It will not on your hike in or out. You will love it! If you wanted to go without a guide you can. In Knaab at the BLM they have photos to show your destiation markers.
    Have a Great time it is awesome,Howard.