Thread: Bullfinch ( M )

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bullfinch ( M )

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks another image which took at my working place ...
    Image captured early morning before the sun came up over the hill .

The Finches started to build a nest in the greenery behind , but stopped it after some days .

Canon EOS R3
    RF 2,8 400 IS L + 2x TC
    HH

F 5,6 ; Iso 16.000 ; 1/1600 sec

Processed with Capture One and PSCC 2023 ; slight crop and removed two small twigs on LHS

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The result is good colours excellent details in all colours. The background is perhaps a little less than ideal (coming from the guy who complains about featureless backgrounds!!). I am guessing you have a high frame rate on the R3 so in instances such as this I would also consider taking some at a lower SS - not that there's anything wrong with this but I think the background may have been a little smoother.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your comment Jon ... much appreciated .
    I am a little puzzled about your suggestion shooting with that kit (HH) at slower shutter speed , how does the shutter speed have an influence on the background structure ??
    Personally i am more than ok with the BG , it is not a studio shot... nor is it a set up .

But please explain it to me to smooth out the existing BG during capture

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Thanks for your comment Jon ... much appreciated .
    I am a little puzzled about your suggestion shooting with that kit (HH) at slower shutter speed , how does the shutter speed have an influence on the background structure ??
    Personally i am more than ok with the BG , it is not a studio shot... nor is it a set up .

But please explain it to me to smooth out the existing BG during capture

Cheers Andreas
    Simply that a lower SS would translate to lower ISO which may have lead to a lower noise level overall and therefore a smoother appearance all round. Yes I appreciate you love high ISO and results are good but i think it is not always necessary to use high ISO when lower ISO options are available, i.e. I wouldn't use high ISO just for the sake of it, I would try lower after getting the required results with high ISO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the answer Jon .... interesting theory you have .
    I would completely disagree here on all the things you pointed out .
    The " issue " you see here , is quite simply explained .... the BG is just too close to the subject . The 400 lens has the best Bokeh one can think of , even with the 2x TC it is creamy .... but not when the BG is roughly 50 to 80 cm behind the subject .
    To me it has got nothing to do with the Iso and the noise . As the potential noise is eliminated for the most part .
    And the background structure is completely low frequency by nature .... if not in focus .
    I do not love shooting high iso .... I am just not afraid of it , unlike others .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the answer Jon .... interesting theory you have .
    I would completely disagree here on all the things you pointed out .
    The " issue " you see here , is quite simply explained .... the BG is just too close to the subject . The 400 lens has the best Bokeh one can think of , even with the 2x TC it is creamy .... but not when the BG is roughly 50 to 80 cm behind the subject .
    To me it has got nothing to do with the Iso and the noise . As the potential noise is eliminated for the most part .
    And the background structure is completely low frequency by nature .... if not in focus .
    I do not love shooting high iso .... I am just not afraid of it , unlike others .

Cheers Andreas
    OK point taken, in that case move the bloody perch!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    OK point taken, in that case move the bloody perch!
    LOL Jon ... fully ok if you have reservations or think differently . But i think you have misinterpreted things you see .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, man the subject just really stands out to me. You handled him delicately but with pronounced tones and colors. Love it!

AFA the background, it's maybe a little bit distracting but you overcame that beautifully with the placement of the subject in frame.

I could see pulling in from LRC a bit possibly and would shorten that bright stem in lower right of the branch. Overall, shown nicely thank you!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Brian .. glad you like the subject

The Subject dictated the BG by choosing the perch , no influence from my side .... no other shooting angle was possible .
    Your thinking of recomposing is good , i just wanted a wider shot ... in this case . IQ would held up ...
    The stem could go with ease .. but on the other hand the image does become more sterile with every removal , i would rather think about darkening the stem to make it less obvious .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Brian .. glad you like the subject

The Subject dictated the BG by choosing the perch , no influence from my side .... no other shooting angle was possible .
    Your thinking of recomposing is good , i just wanted a wider shot ... in this case . IQ would held up ...
    The stem could go with ease .. but on the other hand the image does become more sterile with every removal , i would rather think about darkening the stem to make it less obvious .

Cheers Andreas
    That could work well too!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am actually loving the BG as is. But yes, that bright stem needs to be darkened. Great subject, such a beautiful bird. You did really well with this frame.