Thread: The Feather.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Feather.

Attached Images Attached Images

I shot this Blue winged Teal in a local slough in Nd.Shot from my floating blind. This slough has fog every morning it had lifted quite a bit by the time I took this frame. I shot this bird for over a half hour. The log was added. Funny how things work out this is the only teal I have seen use it. Hasn't gotten much use a few wood ducks ,female merganser,
    and a Great blue Heron.
    Processed with Dpp 4,Topaz,Photoshop. Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon R5
    Rf 400 2.8
    560 mm 1.4x
    Av 4.0
    1/1600
    ISO 2500
    Last edited by kevin Hice; 06-08-2023 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Omitted my blind

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely Setting and composition, my initial reaction is that there appears to be a yellow/green cast to the whole image and the colouration of the duck appears a little flat, i.e. lacking in contrast. It's a super shot and I think it's worth having another look at.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, I really like the 'wider' framing here it works well, the low POV gives good eye contact with the viewer.

I agree with Jon, in that going slightly cooler on the Temp and moving the Magenta slider slightly to the right offers a better balance, but its the lack of fine detail in the feathers that surprises me with that kit. It does appear a little flat, adding Contrast, not sure as it kills detail, but perhaps or using other options??? Whether Topaz has just flatten it all out I don't know but there should be a lot more. Note sure the grass stems add much to the scene, likewise the white strip in the bottom RHC, both very easy fixes.

Another Yes to a revisit if you have time.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin ... i do like the overall scene and the preening " action " is well captured .
    Really nice color palette and the tones are handled well as is the composition . Things could be removed ... as suggested , but I do think they are filling empty space . You would end up with a large amount of dead space , so I would keep it .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin, I just love BWT and this pose is just fantastic! Great use of the floating blind. Interestingly, my father made me one but I've never used it. Really should give it a go.

The tones on the log and smooth transition of colors behind do wonders for this. It's fun to hear the friends overseas require more contrast LOL, but truly not far off for me.

Color tint didn't really stick out to me but surely you could tweak it a little. Really like this one, TFS!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am liking this one a lot as well I love the feather being held up, and the colours on the wing. Very nice log you set up here. The low angle is super. I'd be tempted to crop a bit at right to give the log a solid cut at the edge. That, or a bit more room for the small gap currently there. You are fortunate to have a cooperative male in breeding plumage, even if needing s floating blind...ours are very flighty!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The combination of the feather in the bill, the perfect head angle, and the gorgeous colors of the speculum make this a winner for me. I like that you kept the end of the log with a border.

I am hoping that you did not mean that you added the blog in Photoshop!

with love an see you in Iceland.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.