Thread: GSW (F)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default GSW (F)

Attached Images Attached Images

Although this was shot in April, we now have three coming down, one is a Male, the others are Females, however if the back of the head isn't visible it can be hard to know who is what. With no visible red on the back of the head, I can only assume this is a Female.

Steve

Subject: Greater Spotted Woodpecker (F) (Dendrocopos major)
    Camera: Canon EOS R5
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM HH
    Exposure: 1/1250s at f/7.1 ISO3200 EV +0.67 Auto ISO
    Original format: Portrait, small crop from the top
    Processed via: LRC 12.3 & PS '23 24.4.0

Attracted by fat ball
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great details and processing work Steve. At first wasn't a big fan of the perch, but I actually think the nail head adds to it. Overall another great image. TFS

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot colours spot on, it's a female, if male you would see a trace of red in the neck. Detail is remarkably good. the dark (ish) background works to good effect. I like the gate/fence post, I am assuming it looked too wide to include its full width.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Kevin, often I look for texture or some interesting feature for these perches, like most folk. The various perches are between 5-6ft tall, offering the option for the WP to scoot up and down, pecking on his/her way. Dan C is a Master at this, finding awesome branches/perches.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Jon, you are correct, I just felt it might be too dominant, let’s see what follows when I’m back. I wanted to avoid the classic Silver birch, nice but over used. As you quiet rightly say, the markings on the top or back of the head is the only way to tell what ‘version’ it is, but they are devils at con sealing it, in their body posture. The youngster had a go at the Jay, looks tiny compared to the Jay.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve .. subject and backdrop are looking very good in terms of quality ... the perch is what it is , I would have preferred a tree /trunk as perch . But if the subject chooses man made elements ... take it .
    The pose is a bit unfortunate for me .... leaning back too much , personal taste . Nice to see the tongue .
    Good tonal range and more subtle color palette .

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love woodpeckers... they are not the easiest subject to photograph, little busy bodies!

I personally like the perch, is has 'character'.

Well framed, subject nice and sharp, great DoF, BG is superb.

Wonderful image well processed and IQ is great, Steve, thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, really great look at this pecker. Nice pose against the dark canvas.

You processed him wonderfully and I can see a nice bit of 'polishing' on the red underbelly :-) Love that.

Also, despite a less than attractive perch (wood block is one thing but the nail is a bit of a downer for me personally), I do really like the touch of matching pink splotches there and the lichen is a big help.

Not much to improve it aside from a more natural perch but you handled what you had well!

PS - I might be tempted to remove the small black fleck under the eye

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas.

Thank Gabriela, they are fun, especially their antics, often playing peek a boo, or just having jaunty head angles, however they stay for only a few minutes then off, but you know when they come back, because of their call. As you know, there is more with additional variety rather than just a one off.

Hopefully you will be posting here soon, need more African images with Stu departing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You processed him wonderfully and I can see a nice bit of 'polishing' on the red underbelly :-) Love that.
    Thanks Brian, they are very colourful subjects with a striking plumage, the Green WP is also very attractive and would love to photograph.

Also, despite a less than attractive perch (wood block is one thing but the nail is a bit of a downer for me personally), I do really like the touch of matching pink splotches there and the lichen is a big help.
    I think Brian, it might be 'across the pond" preference, I really have no issue with perches like this or indeed weathered/rusty barbed wire as a 'perches' which have been posted from both sides. Providing it's not a new post, treated, but a well weathered/worn one which has character/texture I can't see any problem. Many award winning image we have seen recently have been where a barn owl is looking out of a broken window of a barn, or indeed a Polar resting in an old trappers hut, or a Tiger, again resting in the ruins of a Maharajah palace all man made.

The nail is original and like the post, weathered so it's all part & parcel, but compared to a mooring post from a marina which is far newer no one comments on that...

Hopefully in coming images there might be some more options, albeit the post might be back...

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thank you Andreas.

Thank Gabriela, they are fun, especially their antics, often playing peek a boo, or just having jaunty head angles, however they stay for only a few minutes then off, but you know when they come back, because of their call. As you know, there is more with additional variety rather than just a one off.

Hopefully you will be posting here soon, need more African images with Stu departing.
    Love the species! We have some here too, in fact quite a few (Golden Tailed, Bennet's, Bearded, Knysna, Speckeltailed and Bennet's Woodpecker) Saw the Bearded one in the Kruger but as you said it's so quick...by the time I got my gear out of the window it had moved to another tree I hear them often here at home, maybe I must try 'lure' them closer somehow.

Talking about posting, been busy looking at some Kruger frames, do have a few avian...would love to post but not sure they're nice enough...

PS Miss Stu around here, wish he'd come back

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Frustrating for sure Gabriela... saw a Black WP in Finland just on the Russian boarder many moons ago, which was nice.

Talking about posting, been busy looking at some Kruger frames, do have a few avian...would love to post but not sure they're nice enough...
    Go for it!

PS Miss Stu around here, wish he'd come back
    I doubt it sadly.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Brian, they are very colourful subjects with a striking plumage, the Green WP is also very attractive and would love to photograph.

I think Brian, it might be 'across the pond" preference, I really have no issue with perches like this or indeed weathered/rusty barbed wire as a 'perches' which have been posted from both sides. Providing it's not a new post, treated, but a well weathered/worn one which has character/texture I can't see any problem. Many award winning image we have seen recently have been where a barn owl is looking out of a broken window of a barn, or indeed a Polar resting in an old trappers hut, or a Tiger, again resting in the ruins of a Maharajah palace all man made.

The nail is original and like the post, weathered so it's all part & parcel, but compared to a mooring post from a marina which is far newer no one comments on that...

Hopefully in coming images there might be some more options, albeit the post might be back...
    Good point on the owls in barns. I do like those.

Most likely part of the perch preference (on this side of pond??) is the purity and beauty of more natural perches. Andreas might agree it seems although he's over there. That said, there are some really cool international award winning photos of birds in very urban settings which I love. It can work for sure...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indeed Brian, I think everything has its own merits, whether it's a delicate, spindly branch in blossom, a tree trunk, a weathered old post, a modern square mooring post. But if it's part of the location as in the later, man-made, then we need to accept it because its part of the actual environment. Yes, we can say personally we don't care for it, but I do feel we can't rule it out, if you get my drift.

Sadly this won't be the last time you see it in an image, it will haunt you...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, thanks for the compliment higher up in the discussion! The perch does have character and nice weathering indeed, and that rusty nail is a good addition IMO. I just wish that perch was not so "flat" at the top. Can't always have everything though eh! The open bill and slight peek at the tongue are nice as well. Good lookin' woodpecker!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, thanks for the compliment higher up in the discussion!
    Dan, an absolute pleasure, I have a huge respect for your work and off the record 'envy' some of the postings, as they are quiet exquisite, but I'm wouldn't say that.

. I just wish that perch was not so "flat" at the top.
    Perhaps this is why Brain felt the way he did, but I hadn't thought of that, good call.

Hopefully further postings will address some of the thoughts, all the best.

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks good here Steve....I like the colours and tones throughout. Lovely detail on the bird and the open bill adds...I don't mind the perch, it's probably over 100 years old ...It's like the classic Robin shot with the bird perched on the handle of the spade...That's the one they all want to see.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No haunting at all Steve

Indeed Brian, I think everything has its own merits, whether it's a delicate, spindly branch in blossom, a tree trunk, a weathered old post, a modern square mooring post. But if it's part of the location as in the later, man-made, then we need to accept it because its part of the actual environment. Yes, we can say personally we don't care for it, but I do feel we can't rule it out, if you get my drift.

Sadly this won't be the last time you see it in an image, it will haunt you...