Thread: Great Gray Flyign to a Perch

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Gray Flyign to a Perch

Attached Images Attached Images

Took a few days to go "up north" to the northern part of my state (Minnestoa) and was
    going for warblers on territory. We do have nesting great grays though all year in the Sax Zim,
    but in summer there are far fewer photographers there, and the owls are usually more in the woods
    as they do not have to hunt as much out by the roads and are harder to see. Happened up on this
    owl out in the open for a bit, and got a few shots of while in flight. Can tweek it a bit still and probably
    will but fun to see in summer for a change. Photogrpahing the owl on a perch, and got lucky to get
    one I liked in flight as mostly the owl wasn't facing me.

Z9, 600mm f/4 TC VR S; 1/1250, ISO 400, f4.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, nice flight shot, like the angle of the subject and direct stare.

I think with this you were very conservative with your SS, I would have suggested at least ISO1600 for a much faster SS and to avoid any pixel shift based on the MP of the camera body, especially if HH. I'm currently away and view on a MPB '22, however it does appear quite dark even in a forest situation and there is some posterisation in the BKG. If this is cropped then a sliver more above, no issue with the LH wing slightly hidden with the foliage, but have you done any cloning work? Legs look odd, look very long, but... The dark vertical tree in the BKG running through the subject is unfortunate, depending on your ethics easily removed, ditto around the legs.

You could open the image up a fraction more for the face and add some more selective sharpening, your call.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Paul, nice flight shot, like the angle of the subject and direct stare.

I think with this you were very conservative with your SS, I would have suggested at least ISO1600 for a much faster SS and to avoid any pixel shift based on the MP of the camera body, especially if HH. I'm currently away and view on a MPB '22, however it does appear quite dark even in a forest situation and there is some posterisation in the BKG. If this is cropped then a sliver more above, no issue with the LH wing slightly hidden with the foliage, but have you done any cloning work? Legs look odd, look very long, but... The dark vertical tree in the BKG running through the subject is unfortunate, depending on your ethics easily removed, ditto around the legs.

You could open the image up a fraction more for the face and add some more selective sharpening, your call.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve,
    No cloninng work at all. I actually darkened the background a bit. No cropping at all. The legs are a little long but there were just fully extended. I did take your advice and removed the tree too. Thanks, will continue to tweek.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul cool shot of the owl ... straight at you , gorgeous
    With your radial ? darkening you have created a superb tunnel effect , I do like it

Very cool shot

TZFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, wonderful look at this owl, I love the face and spread wings. I agree with Steve that the foliage running into the owl at the bottom is unfortunate. I like the image, thank you for sharing.

BTW... I enjoyed reading your article on Sax Zim Bog in Nature Photographers Magazine.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the kind words - I love that magazine. I inquired about writing and Helen was kind enough to invite me to be a field contributor. Not a ton of ads and well produced, it's definitely an old school magazine.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Appreciate the helpful comments; I went through several adjustments trying to eliminate the tree and not make it appear any edits, here's what I came up with. I'm not the best at cloning and things.

Name:  zz final edited great gray rs.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  506.3 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, this is certainly a very striking image and one of your best here IMO!

The face and eyes of the Great Gray are unmistakable. The use of the vignetting is effective, although I think gently brushing it away at the wingtips or using the camera raw radius tool in oval form could have enhanced this a bit.

Much better without the dark band behind!

Regarding posterization, not sure what the deal is as sometimes I see it when others don't but I see absolutely none here on my 4k monitor.

Minor suggestion would be to crop just a bit looser, especially leaving more at right on both top and bottom.

Congrats on getting this one!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep, that removed tree certainly did improve an already strong image. I love the dark forest mood. I agree with Brian a looser crop would have been nice to have, but good as is too.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Yep, that removed tree certainly did improve an already strong image. I love the dark forest mood. I agree with Brian a looser crop would have been nice to have, but good as is too.
    Thanks. Admittedly I was surprised at the difference 600 vs 800 makes; I shot with an 800 for years, but now having the 600 with the built in TC allows for quick adjustments; the owl would have been too close for the 800 and the wings would have been chopped off, so nice to have flexibility. Usually the background is gray or whitish as winter is prime great gray owl time so nice to have some green.

11. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post