Thread: Grey crowned cranes

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey crowned cranes

Attached Images Attached Images

With Andreas recent GSW image I thought I would add this into the mix. Another frame of two Grey crowned Cranes on the hunt for food.

One Crane removed from the BKG.

Steve

Subject: Grey Crowned Crane (Balearica regulorum)
    Camera: Canon EOS R3
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO500 EV +0.67 Auto ISO
    Original format: Landscape, small crop
    Processed via: LRC 12.3 & PS '23 24.4.0
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the original, before the Removal tool was used, however this was created several months ago before the various upgrades have been added to the Adjustment tool.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's hard to take a bad picture of this stunning species. Front/right bird looks good, even with somewhat disengaged head angle. And even though the second bird is slightly OOF, I think it adds to the image versus having the front bird alone.

Amazing as is the new editing technology, I'm not a fan of the removal. Had you simply stepped (or reversed the car) three feet to the left, you could have removed the back crane through more 'legitimate' means. But that's me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree Dorian, but these subjects are always moving, so pointless moving. The shot was taken just before this tool became available, it was a bin image until I tried it.

Software is moving quicker than cameras, but there is no way of avoiding this technology, you use it already within camera with Animal/Eye detection.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I have one of Andreas' GCC saved on my desktop. One of my favorites all time, and one day hope to see them in person, other than in the local zoo.

Quite remarkable work getting that left one out. Dorian's point is noted on positioning, but you know that as well as anyone.

Personally, not a huge fan of the second one oof on the left, as well as the high sun position. Have seen some beautiful shots from you through the years but this one doesn't have some of the great elements IMO.

Always something to learn from though, TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have seen some beautiful shots from you through the years but this one doesn't have some of the great elements IMO.
    Thanks Brian, and as I said earlier, this was for the bin, just wanted to see what the new tool could do and wasn't going to post, but after Andreas, I just thought I would bolster things, so no sweat.

Since taking this shot I have changed my approach & settings (albeit for some reason Andreas thinks not) but the R5 & R3 are set up totally differently, partly down to their guts, but also in how I use the options now with greater efficiency, especially for BIF. In addition, I stopped thinking how I shot in DSLR and mirroring it to Mirrorless, how wrong was that. I would wager many Canon folk shoot Case 2 -2/+2/0 all the time, in doing so the camera doesn't deliver, so using Cases for the type of shooting you are doing is paramount. Mirrorless is also far more sensitive to heat haze compared to DSLR, so for those who still have one, it's a bonus.

Anyway, I will try next time to post a more engaging one with more elements to salivate over.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks Brian, and as I said earlier, this was for the bin, just wanted to see what the new tool could do and wasn't going to post, but after Andreas, I just thought I would bolster things, so no sweat.

Since taking this shot I have changed my approach & settings (albeit for some reason Andreas thinks not) but the R5 & R3 are set up totally differently, partly down to their guts, but also in how I use the options now with greater efficiency, especially for BIF. In addition, I stopped thinking how I shot in DSLR and mirroring it to Mirrorless, how wrong was that. I would wager many Canon folk shoot Case 2 -2/+2/0 all the time, in doing so the camera doesn't deliver, so using Cases for the type of shooting you are doing is paramount. Mirrorless is also far more sensitive to heat haze compared to DSLR, so for those who still have one, it's a bonus.

Anyway, I will try next time to post a more engaging one with more elements to salivate over.
    Haha I hear you on the point for posting this one. I did not understand that originally. You have plenty of salivatory (if that's a word) postings in your collection ;-)

Regarding settings, yes I use Case 2 always. Curious when you feel it does not deliver? In my early R5 days I spent time testing out other settings and never felt like they were as good, OVER ALL, that is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian, if it works for you fine, but they are there to aid the camera/capture.

As I said, I now change a huge amount subject to what I am shooting, I guess it's more 'Customising' and certainly with the R3 it's achieving far more and things just gel.

BTW Lookout for a Firmware update for the R5, should be this week.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ...
    for some reasons this image is not up to your standard , but you felt like posting it .... well .
    Even with the cloning it does not work for me .... too tight overall and subjects centered ??? Better without the TC ... easy to say from my desk .
    But your job with the cloning is quite decent ...

No still doing not see a difference for some reason , apart from this one that stands out in a negative way

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No still doing not see a difference for some reason , apart from this one that stands out in a negative way
    Andreas as I told you, this was shot in January, it was in March when I reassessed things. The changes are not 'visible' which you seem to be looking for, it's just my approach and how I set things up these days within the camera/lens. The cameras performs far better in tracking and capture, but this is for my own assessment as I had to break away from thinking in the DSLR mode which is so wrong now for Mirrorless.

You are happy in how your kit works fine, I just needed to reflect and having questioned quite a few things after January, I now have a greater understanding on how I approach things.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The most valid point of your reply is ... that YOU are thinking things are better by now in terms of settings , which is very important .
    I do only take your words and look at the output images .... and see the same high output quality as before , apart from the higher iso used by now .
    I can't see settings you use ,what you think is better than before .... and honestly it does not bother me . AS you are keeping things secret . We are all working in a different way , with different subjects , different expectations , different skills and so forth ...... so I will close this for me and will silently follow your evolution .

Cheers Andreas