Thread: Brown hare (Lepus europaeus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown hare (Lepus europaeus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken early morning, unfortunately against the light, never mind I'll keep trying. I noticed him about 30m distant, I guessed his likely direction - straight to me! I squatted down and as I fired I reduced zoom and turned off the TC and tried to reframe quick enough. A bit tight especially at the base but it was a rewarding experience.
    I suspect you will say I could lift the tones on the hare, I did but when I lifted more I felt it looked a little false. Once again I am ot entirely happy with the colours but I think they are fairly close. I look forward to your comments.

Model Name : OM-1 OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 300.0mm
    PhotographicSensitivity : 1000
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Shutter : 1/2500 sec
    F.No. : F5.0
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 06-06-2023 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Technical info

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... a nice encounter for you personally , the pose is nice
    I will be honest , it has too many technical issues ... for me personally .

Backlight not easy to handle , but could be presented better , IMHO . Overall colors not too bad ... just your favorite blues are not my taste . But the biggest issue are the cut off feet .

Sorry too say Jon

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, having these encounters are rewarding, but the image is more a record shot than a real keeper, as Andreas stated, there are more flaws within the capture than positives. I would also question the sharpness. What are the techs?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes sorry I forgot the technical info.
    There is no need to apologise for your comments folks, I think there is a fundamental difference in our stance on posts. I am submitting images for the simple reason that it is fun, and I enjoy the experience. I know that in many cases there is room for improvement, (i.e. an alternative image - I know the image would have been better if composition and light were better) but I just want to share the experience of taking the image and showing the result.
    I get the impression you won't submit unless you feel your results are pretty exceptional, - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    If I only submitted exceptional images I would not have so much enjoyment - because there would be fewer of them.
    That's not a problem for me, ...but don't get me wrong I equally enjoy submitting very good images that don't have much fault.
    Don't take this comment negatively I enjoy looking at your images tremendously.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, to a degree you are right, but I do feel both your PP and image capture has taken a step back. Previously images were far higher in all aspects, but the enjoyment can’t be masking things, as you have always enjoyed photography. You had all the three elements in alignment, so I’m just puzzled why there is a step back as I said????
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon, to a degree you are right, but I do feel both your PP and image capture has taken a step back. Previously images were far higher in all aspects, but the enjoyment can’t be masking things, as you have always enjoyed photography. You had all the three elements in alignment, so I’m just puzzled why there is a step back as I said????
    I don't see it as a step back, I recognise that some images are not as high quality as they might be but the point is I am getting images that I would not have otherwise be getting. I am not being defensive, of course I would prefer to submit high quality images but I think it is a case of submitting images that perhaps I would not have previously submitted - for the simple reason I would not have taken them. I could be argued of course that they were not worth taking and to some extent this would be true - but then the fun element would have been reduced.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... understand your point and in the end you have to be happy with your postings , regardless if they are " perfect " or not . As long as you enjoy the things from capture to the finish !
    I for myself .... have a different approach , I try to get as close as possible to " my perfection " .... hardly ever reach it . But the fact is pushing me forward ....

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon ... understand your point and in the end you have to be happy with your postings , regardless if they are " perfect " or not . As long as you enjoy the things from capture to the finish !
    I for myself .... have a different approach , I try to get as close as possible to " my perfection " .... hardly ever reach it . But the fact is pushing me forward ....

Cheers Andreas
    I agree entirely with that and likewise I try to get the most that I can from my images, the point is you and Steve do not submit unless you are very happy with the result - which is a good thing. Maybe I am submitting material that I would not have bothered to submit previously. I go out pretty much every day walking from my house in the country and I come back with something on a daily basis. Maybe when the novelty wears off I will go back to being more selective.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

Lovely encounter indeed but this frame has a number of issues, some can be fixed to some extent (like the colour casts and heavy shadows, also those bright grasses could be toned down) and others not ( just not enough at the bottom). BG needs a tad of NR and overall the image is rather dark.

We have seen some stunners from you and I have no doubt that we will see more . Could not help but read the comments from Steve and Andreas and I tend to agree with them... On the other hand I fully understand your desire to share those experiences... but perhaps you need to be a bit more selective ?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Dear Jon,

Lovely encounter indeed but this frame has a number of issues, some can be fixed to some extent (like the colour casts and heavy shadows, also those bright grasses could be toned down) and others not ( just not enough at the bottom). BG needs a tad of NR and overall the image is rather dark.

We have seen some stunners from you and I have no doubt that we will see more . Could not help but read the comments from Steve and Andreas and I tend to agree with them... On the other hand I fully understand your desire to share those experiences... but perhaps you need to be a bit more selective ?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela you are right in what you say, in fact I have not disagreed with anyone, the quality of images I have posted has been variable, mainly because of non ideal photographic conditions. The image is dark overall, I did several versions, not entirely happy with any to be quite frank but Ii think I have posted something close to reality. Colours are very tricky because strong directional light is coming through the green tree tops. Regards noise I did not notice anything significant. Maybe as you say I should be more selective.