Thank You Posts

Default Common Snipe

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon R6
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 800mm
    f/8
    1/1600
    ISO 4000

Another one from my trip to Mull... I was driving along a track at sunset when I spotted this Snipe...decided to stay in the vehicle, and managed a few shots, before he/she flew off. HH...almost FF...ACR and PS.

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kudos in getting the image Will, but why do Snipe always present their rear towards camera?

I like the framing, comp and the fact the tip of the bill is above the darker band. Personally I might open it up a little, whilst still retaining the look & feel you have.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will .... i am really undecided if do like it or not .
    I do like the overall warm dark mood ... and the head turn is ok .
    The head looks really soft compared to the rest of the body ... looks like the FP was not on the head .
    Wish the horizon was lower

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the idea, but i think the fact that you don't have a blacked-out subject hurts you year because it's easy for us to see that the focus point fell on the *** (and not the head). I also which the line in the BG didn't cut straight through the subject. Had you
    been able to get it fully agains the gold, this could have been show-stopping.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, a very nice opportunity you had here. I really like the concept of the shot a lot and love backlit. Not to mention we don't see many of Snipes in general, let along backlit.

Good points above. I wonder if you added some sharpening to the subject if you could pull it off. Also agree the horizon line is not great, but that's moot I think.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the mood, light, and composition, but yes, the horizon line cuts too drastically across the snipe IMO. Critical focus is not on the face as already pointed out. I do love the view of that long bill against the brighter part of the frame.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will,

I love the mood, the long bill and especially the minute lighting near the front of the foot on the mold. Little bit of brightness on the head would have popped it I guess. Overall I love the image.

Thanks
    Narayanan

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, I meant to say/ask, did you have ED on, classic case for conventional focusing.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Will,

I am quite taken with this, love the sunset colours and simplicity of the image. A rather uncommon frame of a Common Snipe - well seen and taken, a pleasure to view

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Hello Will,

I am quite taken with this, love the sunset colours and simplicity of the image. A rather uncommon frame of a Common Snipe - well seen and taken, a pleasure to view

Kind regards,
    Thanks Gabriela

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Will, I meant to say/ask, did you have ED on, classic case for conventional focusing.
    Hi Steve yes it was on....Because of the light direction the head was in the shade compared to the back...which gave the impression it was more OOF, than the back area. I will lighten it up a bit and add some sharpness. Regarding the ED... When I was shooting the otter, earlier same day, the ED was on, as you know.. I did notice the lens hunting a bit, to focus on the otter...it was surrounded by seaweed a similar colour and I had the 2X on....so I put it down to that, as the light was also fading.

Will