Thread: Tawny owl (Strix aluco)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tawny owl (Strix aluco)

Attached Images Attached Images

Another shot of Tawny owl, I just cannot geta good viewpoint, just so difficult to find high up in the trees. They are becoming more mobile now. I will check them out tomorrow but I would not be surprised if they have flown away.
    Hand held
    OM-1 OM 150-400TC
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 947.0mm
    ISO : 800
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Shutter : 1/800 sec
    Aperture : F5.6
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 06-04-2023 at 02:18 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, tough to shoot through into the canopy, but you did well. The FG branch really dominates for me, plus the amount of grain in the face at ISO800, unless under exposed it should be perfect. Colour still looks odd and the way the lens has compressed the leaves looks a bit funky.

Bar climbing into another tree to get a better shooting angle, not much more you can do other than hope they come into a better clearing, but I doubt that sadly. Be careful, look out for the parents, you don't was another Hoskins issue!

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, tough to shoot through into the canopy, but you did well. The FG branch really dominates for me, plus the amount of grain in the face at ISO800, unless under exposed it should be perfect. Colour still looks odd and the way the lens has compressed the leaves looks a bit funky.

Bar climbing into another tree to get a better shooting angle, not much more you can do other than hope they come into a better clearing, but I doubt that sadly. Be careful, look out for the parents, you don't was another Hoskins issue!

TFS
    Steve
    Steve, I suspect the leaves look soft because I have deliberately blurred them, i.e. nothing to do with the lens. The grain you refer to doesn't trouble me, I suspect it is a slight fault of sharpening, I am messing with sharpening using the subject mask in ACR vs using the conventional sharpening. The latter is adjustable the former is only in terms of amount.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The grain you refer to doesn't trouble me, I suspect it is a slight fault of sharpening, I am messing with sharpening using the subject mask in ACR vs using the conventional sharpening. The latter is adjustable the former is only in terms of amount.
    Jon, grain won't come from sharpening, so it must stem from within your PP, otherwise other5 areas would be affected.

I think you might be going down a rabbit hole in your sharpening thinking based on what you have described, however to a degree you are correct, but... You imply you are sharpening within ACR on the Raw, (known as input sharpening) fine, but it should be minimal. You ONLY then sharpen at the Output stage after cropping and have flattened the file, (Save As) and at the final size of output. Whilst sharpening at the output stage you can then adjust the amount applied, but you must set the file up correctly.

I'm trying to read between the line here Jon, but ultimately the best form of sharpening is via PS.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... might not be a prize winning image , been there myself two years ago with the owls on my neighbors property . So I can follow your thoughts on shooting this ,
    To me it does look nice overall .... under the given circumstances .

Good luck with them

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You know the scene is busy, but you got a decent view and great eye contact to make this worth hanging onto. I agree with Steve about the grain on the face, but that's minor given the other limitations.