Thread: Tawny owl (Strix aluco)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tawny owl (Strix aluco)

Attached Images Attached Images

An ongoing project trying to get these chicks in decent light and composition. I have tried versions with and without flash. The light is very contrasting up at the top of the trees, I have been going early morning and at later evening, one day I hope to get with diffuse natural light.
    I realise far from ideal but I was really pleased to get a shot of the chicks. The chicks are 8-10m or more high in the trees, getting a clear view and finding them is not easy!

OM-1 OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 756.0mm
    ISO : 1600
    Exposure compensation : -0.3 EV
    Off camera, Flash fill in -0.3
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Shutter : 1/60 sec
    F.No. : F4.5

ACR/PSCC

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can imagine how hard it is to get a good shot Jonathan. Before I read your comment what I noticed was the strong light at the chick on the right that definitely catches ones attention . Other than that it is well done. Hope you get that diffused light shot. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like good light will be very difficult here Jon...I really like what you captured, and I am sure you will get it one day...I am seeing a blueish cast. I like the detail you managed to capture and the poses are priceless. Step Ladder maybe...

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I realise far from ideal but I was really pleased to get a shot of the chicks. The chicks are 8-10m or more high in the trees, getting a clear view and finding them is not easy!
    Exactly where they should be Jon. Sweet capture, although and I know why, but more of the brach below would be better IMHO. Resolve the colour casts, think you could open the exposure up and some Curves for the body plumage and bingo...

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .. lovely to see these two hanging together for a shoot .
    Think you did very well with the given shooting angle .
    The tree gave you a nice frame on LHS and the foliage is nice as well . Very difficult to get the sky decently exposed .
    You can try , exposure bracketing .... and double process them in ACR . AS I think the owls do not move that much .

Cool image and TFS Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone glad you liked, I do have some more. Getting the colours right is something I find tricky, nothing wrong with my acuity just my ability to decide which way to adjust colours. When Steve or Andreas point it out it seems so obvious!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Decent enough for such tall birds. I really miss the second eye of the bird in the back.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your hard work and persistence certainly paid off, Jon. Lovely, I think they're super cute, those little owls, bundled together high up in the tree. They look so vulnerable.

I like the composition and pose is superb, would up the exposure a bit and try bring a bit more definition on those feathers. I too noticed the colour cast, easy to remove if you wish.

Enjoyed viewing, a lot. Looked everywhere for a pearl spotted owl in Kruger but this time no luck, hopefully in September

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea