Thread: 40,000+ Sand Crab Eggs Down the Hatch

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 40,000+ Sand Crab Eggs Down the Hatch

Attached Images Attached Images

American Oystercatcher chick eating Sand Crab with eggs

In this image, I added the bill of the adult from an image created less than three seconds after this one. 23 May 2023 at Nickerson Beach Park, in Nassau County, Long Island, NY. I used the rear screen while working off my flattened Robus RC-5558-3 Vantage Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod/Levered-Clamp FlexShooter Pro-mounted Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS lens, the Sony FE 2.0x Teleconverter, and The One, the Sony Alpha 1 Mirrorless Digital Camera). The exposure was determined via Zebra technology with ISO on the thumb dial. ISO 3200. 1/500 sec. at f/8 (wide open) in Manual mode. When evaluated in RawDigger, the raw file brightness was determined to be dead solid perfect. AWB at 650am on a blessedly cloudy morning. Tracking: Expand Spot/AF-C with Bird-Eye/Face Detection performed perfectly.

You can see both images and learn a ton about Sand (or Mole) Crabs in the recent blog post here.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, I really really like this. The low profile, chick slightly angled and the retro addition of the adult bill. Square crop works too.

So a couple of questions:

Did you want a high key look?
    Did you add the highlight in the eye
    What causes the half yellow strip with the adult bill?

As an alternative just dropping the exposure, I think helps?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot...... but for me way too bright. There is a halo round the tip of the adult bill tip.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur ... the chick with the prey is cute . But that's about it for me personally ....

Quite some noise visible i.e. in the legs for Iso 3200 and I am not sure what the bill of the adult is doing in the frame , I do find it rather distracting , albeit it might tell a story for some folks ....
    The featureless sand .... well if one like it , I do not .

All that said on a purely personal basis
    TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Artie, I really really like this. The low profile, chick slightly angled and the retro addition of the adult bill. Square crop works too.

So a couple of questions:

Did you want a high key look?
    Did you add the highlight in the eye
    What causes the half yellow strip with the adult bill?

As an alternative just dropping the exposure, I think helps?

TFS
    Steve
    Yes, I wanted a high key look. Yes, I added the catchlight. The bill looks a bit funky because it was not on the plane of sharp focus.

With love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Super shot...... but for me way too bright. There is a halo round the tip of the adult bill tip.
    Thanks, Jon. I may need to calibrate my monitor when I get. As above, the funkiness of the bill is a result of being well behind the place of sharp focus.

with love, a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Arthur ... the chick with the prey is cute . But that's about it for me personally ....

Quite some noise visible i.e. in the legs for Iso 3200 and I am not sure what the bill of the adult is doing in the frame , I do find it rather distracting , albeit it might tell a story for some folks ....
    The featureless sand .... well if one like it , I do not .

All that said on a purely personal basis
    TFS Andreas
    Andreas.

Thanks for your comments.

Enlarging the JPEG I see zero noise on the legs. The bill of the adult was in an identically framed image taken two seconds after this one. It is not too difficult to figure out that the adult just fed the chick.

with love, a

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is simply delightful, Sir Arthur Subject super cute and I like the presence of mom's bill, adds context. You certainly know how to tell a story

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

Great POV, story telling.

I like high key images, but for my personal taste, the chick feathers blend into the background so much here that I am losing a sense of definition.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton