Thread: Canada Warbler

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canada Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

A Canada Warbler from Port Aransas Texas during migration; hoping to get more here in Minnesota where they nest "up north" in a week or two.

Admittedly as I work on images, I think one thing I've always had a tendency is to saturate a bit much; so on this I dropped the saturation on the background, and also used "Color" vs. "Landscape" in Adobe RAW, and was closer to "Daylight" on Color Temp vs. "Cloudy" which had been my go to. It is tough dealing with a deep green background at times.

Nikon Z9, 1/1000, ISO 450, 600mm f/4 TC VR S at 600mm.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I feel there is a little too much contrast and I would be inclined to lift the mid tones, in general it looks a little heavy and saturated. The bird appears sharp and well detailed and you did well to catch it in the clear area. Color and Landscape tend to produce saturated high contrast images, is this what you desire?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice job getting this guy out in the open. I might be tempted to move the subject slightly more to the left so it wasn't so centered in the frame, but other than that, I like the image.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Paul, this is the third image in succession which has the same issues regarding colour/heavy contrast/blacks, it's just too bias and so I would strongly suggest you get your monitor calibrated and or change your workflow to reduce adding Saturation & Contrast and having any light hitting the monitor. Always have the back of your screen towards any light source like a window..

No idea on coloration of subject, but if you balance out the grey of the subject to all three channels (RGB) having 50.1/50.1/50.1 so all three have the same % meaning no colour shift you get something like this. Where you then take it is personal choice. You always have the clarity & sharpness in the image.

Hope this helps.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose. I love both versions. The bird in the middle composition works well here. Was this at some sort of set-up?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I feel there is a little too much contrast and I would be inclined to lift the mid tones, in general it looks a little heavy and saturated. The bird appears sharp and well detailed and you did well to catch it in the clear area. Color and Landscape tend to produce saturated high contrast images, is this what you desire?
    I do like color and some saturation, but I actually lowered the saturation to -5 I believe for the background, and left it the same on the bird. That said I do not want it looking overdone.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Great pose. I love both versions. The bird in the middle composition works well here. Was this at some sort of set-up?

with love, artie
    Hi Artie, the perch was located near a water drip at the Leonabelle Turnbull Bird Sanctuary. The warblers and other birds would hop down to the tree or a perch,
    and then get some water, and often go back to the perch. This particular perch was a set up that another photographer brought with him. It is a lovely area in
    Port Aransas, hope to be back next late April.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with artie - the central placement works well here because of the way the vegetation is laid out making it a well-balanced comp. I do prefer Steve's rendition, but all else looks great to me.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Paul, this is the third image in succession which has the same issues regarding colour/heavy contrast/blacks, it's just too bias and so I would strongly suggest you get your monitor calibrated and or change your workflow to reduce adding Saturation & Contrast and having any light hitting the monitor. Always have the back of your screen towards any light source like a window..

No idea on coloration of subject, but if you balance out the grey of the subject to all three channels (RGB) having 50.1/50.1/50.1 so all three have the same % meaning no colour shift you get something like this. Where you then take it is personal choice. You always have the clarity & sharpness in the image.

Hope this helps.
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks, I did calibrate the monitor with my Spyder. I'll lower saturation a bit; easy to do on the background. Canadas are very vibrant yellow in breeding plumage.

Thanks,
    Paul