Thread: Ovenbird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ovenbird.

Attached Images Attached Images

A type of warbler, but this one does not give neck aches to birders as it loves the forest floor, and actually builds its nest there (shaped like an old bread oven with side door - hence its name). This one cooperated by perching on an old tree stump - enticed there with audio. Bummer about the oof front part of the perch, but I can live with it.

Canon R6 + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/400s., f/5.6, ISO 3200, natural light, hand held, FF, a few imperfections on he perch removed via spot and patch tools.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Das ... besides the quite large stump I do like the overall image . Nice to see the lovely warm colors and the pretty looking bird . Comp works well .... surprised to see quick sharpness fall off on the subject , as it does not look like that you have been that close to the subject . ...
    Overall tones and details are looking good, BG does look very nice with these subtle tonal variations
    Why so conservative with the Iso ??

TFS Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image the pose is good and I agree the OOF area is slightly distracting. I like the background colours but I think it is a little bright, I feel a little less so and the bird would be more dominant in the frame.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, interesting warbler, never had the opportunity to see one before. Everything is real nice in the image except the front part of the perch you commented on. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really nice. The pose is great and the background is fantastic. Exposure and details are great. I would not have noticed the OOF bit of the stump had you not mentioned it. I think this is one of the hardest warblers to photograph since they spend so much time in the shadowy understory. Very common in East. Only seen one in California, where they are rare in vagrants in fall migration. Really well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice BG and subject. Bird is sharp and nice pose. The OOF stump is a tiny bit bothersome, but is minor. Nice work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous. After you get the shot, you might try making a second frame, sharp on the o-o-f wood in the front, and then creating a sort of poor man's focus stacked image by painting in the sharpness from the second image. Just a thought.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very neat image, Dan. Lovely pose from the bird and BG is just awesome. Great colours and beautiful detail on the subject

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post