Thread: Broad-billed Hummingbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Broad-billed Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Haven't been out much lately. Back has been bothering me a lot. Went through some older files to see if I can find new images to work on. Found this one from about a year ago from Madera Canyon, AZ.

Sony A9II
    200-600mm
    taken at 433mm
    1/6400 at f/8
    ISO 3200

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kurt the image looks good, I hesitate to say too much because I haven't seen this species. The colours look quite rich and dark, I wonder if the mid tones and darker tones need a slight lift? The background has a strange texture - is it slightly noisy?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Iridescence and colours look great! So does the sharpness - really enjoying the ridging on the feathers. Maybe a tad large in the frame IMO, and the BG should smooth out nicely from most NR applications.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kurt, nice looking dude profile of this subject and I like the Iridescent colours. Is this a hefty crop as there is some noise showing, but as Dan said, easily resolved, but not at full stretch, at ISO3200 it needs minimal, otherwise it just flattens out the plumage too much. Agree, overall it needs more space around to breathe.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kurt ... lovely subject with a relaxed posing for you
    I do like the colors , the BG and the " perfect pose " albeit I am not that strict on the posing front as the majority of folks here .
    Wondering about the high noise evil at Iso 3200 ???!!!
    You will know where the noise is coming from

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kurt, a really beautiful hummingbird, the colors are gorgeous. I agree with the comments others have made. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice image of my favorite AZ hummer. 'Broad-billed' is the worst name for this beautiful bird. You'd think they could come up with something better, like 'Azure-throated Firebill'

There is a lot of noise as others have noted, and I agree the bird would benefit from more room all around. But the lighting and details are gonna be killer however you present the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto everything above especially to more room all around.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.