Thread: Blackcap ( M )

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blackcap ( M )

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... one of my recent " grab shots " taken at the place where I work .
    Audio was used to get this guy attracted to me ... but you might understand that it is not that single clean perch shot possible with this method , at least from my experiences so far .
    But I was quite happy as it was the first time for me to get them close and possible to photograph .
    I would say the BG could be cleaner at some stage , but I am ok with it for now .

Canon EOS R 3
    RF 400 2,8 + 2x TC
    HH

F 6,3 ; Iso 20.000 ; 1/2000 sec

Processed with Capture One and PSCC 2023 ; cropped from LHS for better comp

Thanks for watching and commenting the previous postings of mine

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks spot on details excellent, noise minimal. Clinically clean backgrounds in woodlands don't often occur so I don't mind the natural looking background one iota. (Even if it wasn't genuine woodland).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very sharp and love the open beak! I agree with John about the BG in woodlands are definitely tough, but I do wish it wasn't intersecting with the body. Do you have more room on top? Think a bit more room on top could be an improvement.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you got to photograph this tough subject (or at least sounds like it is tough to get). I can appreciate the comment about the BG for forest dwellers, but still find the stuff behind the tail distracting - there is enough variance otherwise to let us know it is various oof foliage. The leafy twig would be better had it not touched the bird's back. Head angle could be a touch better - but I suspect you knew this was coming from me lol. I do love the foot positions, sharpness, main perch with thorns. Open bill and fluffed throat feathers giving context of it singing is pretty good too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The details are great, but the stuff behind doesn't work for me, especially as it intersects the subject.

Insectivores can't be set-up for 'cheap-shots' like seed eaters, so audio offers the best hope, even it's really hard to get the bird onto a good perch. It's a real art to getting it right, but you don't want to harass the bird too much. It's often a difficult line to walk!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto Dan on the head angle -- it never changes.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.